Help me recover old account! PLEASE! I'm desperate

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Crousselle, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Crousselle macrumors newbie

So my father deleted my user account on my family's iMac and chose to not save any of the files. (clicked delete everything)

how do i get it back!? i'm desperate. my entire senior year's work was on that account, in addition to my itunes library, chat histories, iphoto library, etc.

i'm FREAKING out right now. what do i do!? is there anything i can do!?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php might help you.

And letting your father never near the Mac again.

Or at least showing him those links:

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. Crousselle thread starter macrumors newbie

oh no he knew what he was doing....he was just being a jerk.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

He knew what he was doing? Maybe from a technical point, but the jerk part is quite idiotic. What kind of father would delete his child's work? That is stupid and ignorant and not-caring. Maybe get an external HDD or USB flash drive to save your work onto in the future to at least have some kind of backup, so that your "irresponsible" father can't destroy your work.

I'm a little drunk, so please excuse (or not) my words. But when I had to move in with my father (at the age of fourteen, my mother was killed), he shown some kind of irresponsible behaviour, but that would never crossed his mind.

I hope that software can help you, it cost 99USD, so at least have him pay that money.

Have a good night.

5. Crousselle thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Crousselle thread starter macrumors newbie

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So Data Rescue didn't help?

If the Trash is emptied, and no further data has been written onto the Mac's HDD, only a data recovery software like Data Rescue can help.

If you want a cheaper one, look at MacUpdate or VersionTracker and see if you can find any other data recovery software there, or use MRoogle to find similar threads.

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Also stop using the iMac as just running it will cause further permanent data loss (pull the hard drive if you must). If you want a thorough data recovery program I would suggest...

Stellar Phoenix Mac As the most thorough recovery for Mac's.

Nucleus Kernel Mac If you have a Windows computer available this will really scour the drive for lost or deleted files. It is funny that the Mac data recovery can run only in Windows but it is really quite thorough.

Edit: I know the favorites on these forums are Data Rescue and Disk Warrior. But those programs require recognizable partition. I have very little faith in a data recovery program that can not scour a drive for files even if no partition is found.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I have a feeling there's more to this story than is being revealed here. :rolleyes:

10. Crousselle thread starter macrumors newbie

woww seriously!? here's the whole story:

-my brother takes my laptop (i have a macbook pro) from me because he says i'm interfering with Call of Duty. I get mad (because hello, what?) and my dad tells me to use the iMac instead (which is also on the wireless network.) I say no, because I don't like the iMac compared to my macbook pro.
    -my dad tells me to delete my user account on the iMac if I don't like using it. -I say no because (at the time) I honestly had no idea how you would even delete an account, plus it had all of my work, pictures, etc on.
    -I return upstairs after all of this and resume using my macbook pro. My father signs on and deletes everything.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

There would not be an issue here if you were keeping an up to date backup.

Why don't people do that?!!!