help me reinstall OS X

bep207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
my girlfriends macbook is acting very strange.
it has windows xp on it with boot camp

it has ran fine but is now acting up.
about 3 times a day OS X becomes very slow and when you try to launch a program that is not already open, it says Application Cannot be launched. this is always fixed after a VERY LONG restart

i want to try to reinstall OS X. I have an external HD that can back up all the files and docs.

When i reinstall OS X. I am going to format the OS X partition. TWO QUESTIONS:

1. How do i get rid of all the extra languages in OS X to save on space during install?

2. How do I put the files and preferences back on the MacBook after reinstallation? Is there a way to keep my safari preferences and passwords? or do i need to pretend like theyve never been saved before?

Thanks for you help
Blake

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
You don't use a nuclear bomb to squash a roach. Have you done any routine maintenance? Run Disk First Aid from within Disk Utilities. Download, install, and run OnyX. If these don't work, restart in single-user mode. At the command prompt, type fsck -fy to run File System Check.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Try repairing permissions in Disk utility Run it until there is now more fixes coming up. This may take 2-4 tries.

bep207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
trainguy77 said:
Try repairing permissions in Disk utility Run it until there is now more fixes coming up. This may take 2-4 tries.
no luck there, nothing to repair on first try

bep207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
i did all of the above mentioned tasks. it came up with nothing wrong and nothing to be fixed.

im still have the random errors

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
bep207 said:
i did all of the above mentioned tasks. it came up with nothing wrong and nothing to be fixed.

im still have the random errors
In your original post, you said that apps launch slower after the computer has been in use for a while. Now you say that you have random errors. Which is it--random errors, slow relaunches, or both? Which apps are causing these issues?

bep207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
its not that the apps launch slow, its that they fail to launch. an error message comes up saying iTunes failed to launch.
It is all applications
a restart used to fix it everytime
a restart now fixes it MOST of the time

bep207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
if i copy the home folder onto an external hard drive. and then reinstall os x. and transfer the contents of the home folder back on to the macbook will i have kept all of my preferences, passwords etc..