Help me replace my aging mouse.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Flash SWT, May 14, 2012.

1. Flash SWT macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

So unfortunately the time has come and I need to find a replacement for my beloved Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical. The left click button has started sticking and either double-clicks or I have to really smash the button to get it to register so I can drag/drop.

I've had this one for almost 10 years now and it has been great so obviously I haven't been paying any attention to what mice are out there now. As such I'd love for some suggestions.

Logitech's website doesn't have very many corded mice that fit the bill and only one of them with extra buttons lists Mac support. So who is using what mice that support configurable extra buttons?

A few guidelines:

+ OS 10.6.8
    + I do like to game (mainly TF2)
    + I've always been happy with Logitech but am open to other brands
    + I prefer corded mice, one less thing to worry about, but will look at wireless suggestions as well
    + At least one thumb button, more is fine

Thanks so much for your time and suggestions!

2. rpmor macrumors member

Razer mice are nice.

Personally own an Orochi. owned a Lachesis and a Abyssus too. great mice.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I prefer corded mice, one less thing to worry about, but will look at wireless suggestions as well"

Logitech cordless mice work well, and the battery life is long. I have two of them.

I suggest you give the LG cordless mice consideration, as well.

4. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i just got the logitech m510 mouse its great i do like the touch mice that apple and logitech make but the thing i do hate about them why are all of them low profile mice as that makes my hand hurt

5. Flash SWT thread starter macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

Thanks for the tips so far guys. I was really liking the look of Razer and their whole dedicated page of Mac supported products until I saw this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=832566

Seems several users here aren't very happy with the Mac support. :confused:

Keep the advice coming!

6. Flash SWT thread starter macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

I guess another question: are y'all using the manufacture supplied software/drivers or third party like USB Overdrive or Steermouse to get all your buttons programmed up?

7. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

How partial are you to trackballs? I use a wireless Logitech trackball..forget the model number, but it has a blue ball and it is relatively modern, you can see it on the Logitech site. It is great with limited space for me.

As for drivers, I just use Logitech's Control Center, no Overdrive.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

9. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Ten years with one mouse? That is some serious dedication to a mouse.

As far as wireless mice - I never knew how much I hated wired mice until I used a wireless one for a few months. The batteries on most wireless mice last several months, so not much upkeep.

10. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"are y'all using the manufacture supplied software/drivers or third party like USB Overdrive or Steermouse to get all your buttons programmed up?"

Either will work fine. Simply a matter of personal preference for one or the other.

Try both, pick the one you like best.

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The Orochi is nice, I use one on my MBP.

It's both Bluetooth and USB (gaming). OSX support is minimal in Bluetooth mode.

12. Flash SWT thread starter macrumors 6502

Flash SWT

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

13. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Indeed. I was just trying to think of what type of mouse I was using 10 years ago.

I had a really cool logitech trackball that I loved around that time, but one of my young kids stole the ball and it never appeared again.

14. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

15. lastmile macrumors member

16. kamuix macrumors regular

I use a cyborg rat 7 and it's a great mouse. As a lot of adjustable features and the drivers for it seem to do the trick. They are official drivers and allows me to customize it a bit.

17. CUsurfer, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

CUsurfer macrumors member

Do you use this mouse with OSX? Does all the functionality work with OSX? Technically, it's not supported by for Macs by Logitech. Do you configure it in Windows and then use in OSX or do you use a third party driver?

18. Destroysall macrumors 65816

Destroysall

No, I do not. I've yet to test it with OS X myself (the only Mac I have is with a relative for the time being).

However, I do believe that you would have to configure in Windows and then use OS X. Just be sure to set the polling rate to 125MHz. I can try and test it out sometime, but it will be a while before I get the opportunity to do so.

19. minimac macrumors member

I have that exact same mouse! I don't know if I've had it for 10 years but it's been a long time and I need to replace mine as well. The rubber around the thumb button is starting to fall apart. I think my requirements are very similar to yours so I'm curious to know what you end up with.

20. dkersten macrumors 6502a