Help me replace my current 12.9 iPad Pro (2015)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yerrawizardharry, Mar 27, 2018.

1. yerrawizardharry macrumors newbie

I've been thinking about replacing my current iPad Pro for a few months now. When I found out about today's event I figured I could wait a little longer. This thing was a gift, and I basically use it for Netflix, some light photo editing, and reading. The 12.9 size is actually too big and uncomfortable for this.

I figured once I had it I could try using it to replace my 12in Macbook in some aspects, but it's just not realistic for now.

So now for the actual question... I'm torn between a refurbished 9.7 iPad (Currently $469) and the iPad introduced today. Apple pencil is a huge part of my current workflow so the 2017 iPad wasn't an option, but now things have changed. I'm still trying to decide if the $120 difference is worth getting the Pro?

If it were you what would you do?

2. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Depends on whether the air gap bothers you.

Personally, I'd go for the 2018 iPad 9.7. I prefer longer battery life over the fully laminated display. I know they both say 10 hours in the specs but realistically, I got 10 hours screen time on the Pro 9.7 when it was brand new (around 9 hours now) and 15+ hours on the 2017 iPad (low brightness setting).

Besides, I think the AR coating makes the Pro more susceptible to fingerprints and that really annoys me on the Air 2 and Pro iPads. Sure, you get less reflections but you also have to deal with fingerprint haze within 30 minutes of use.

3. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

A10 could be pretty good battery savings

I’d go with that too or the 10.5” if you want something that isn’t a step down in quality from your 12.9” display wise. 12.9 gen 1 is on par with air 2.

This 2018 iPad is on par wit air 1 display.

I love my gen 2 12.9 but the keyboard stays attached 95% of the time

As a hand holding tablet, i think my 9.7 pro is better

Apple doesn’t make it any easier with so many options!

4. kp98077 macrumors 6502

kp98077

Have both, 10.5 will fit your needs well! Can’t beat the quality, speed and size (if you don’t like it too big )...

5. ssledoux macrumors 65816

ssledoux

I’m struggling with this same decision with my 12.9 2nd gen pro. I’ve had it since launch, and while I do love it on my desktop, I don’t use it as a portable device at all.

I had the first gen 12.9 and upgraded to this one because I loved it so much, but after a couple years of not really having something portable, I’m rethinking.