Help me Rescue My Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RareBreed, Jul 24, 2019.

1. RareBreed macrumors newbie

RareBreed

I was trying to erased may hard drive and start from scratch as if I just bought it. Well I erased the Macintosh HD and now I get the folder with ? mark or padlock password screen. Now It does nothing while holding command + R at start up, or any other command for that matter. Please Help.

2. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

3. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Use internet recovery? Command + option + r.

Erasing the disc would remove the recovery partition.

4. RareBreed, Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019

RareBreed thread starter macrumors newbie

RareBreed

I tried doing that but all get is a padlock screen password. I've tried putting in mu admin. password and nothing. And yes the partition was erased. And when i use shift Option Command R all I get is a flashing file with ?

5. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

The MacBook had an efi password that must be entered in order to restore the os. No one here can help except Apple.

6. Macdctr macrumors 6502a

Macdctr

You could get a thumb drive with an OS installer on it then you can boot off the thumb drive, run disk utilities and reformat the SSD then reinstall the OS.

I have a few thumb drives with OS preinstalled. If you need one my recommendation is for you to get a 8GB or 16GB thumb drive. I can make one for you and then send it. If you're interested sent me a PM.

If you have a MacBook Air, you should have one of these bootable thumb drives in my opinion.

7. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Unfortunately, booting with anything other than the internal SSD will not work if the Air has an efi password.

I attached a picture of the EFI padlock screen.

Attached Files:

8. Macdctr macrumors 6502a

Macdctr

This is true and Apple will not help if you don't have a legit receipt proving that you're the legitimate owner of this laptop.

9. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Very true. Hopefully, the OP is able to recover the password.

10. Macdctr macrumors 6502a

Macdctr

I hope so as well. Part of the risk of buying a "used" Mac laptop is if the previous owner placed an EFI password. Worse if they forgot their password.... it happens unfortunately. I have been lucky in that all my "used" Macs did not have an EFI password assigned to them.

11. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Good idea when buying a used MacBook would be to boot the machine while holding down the option key.

12. RareBreed thread starter macrumors newbie

RareBreed

--- Post Merged, Jul 29, 2019 ---
    Would replacing the SSD do the trick.

13. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

No, unfortunately.
    The password is in firmware, not on the SSD.
    The only fix now is to take to an Apple service shop, and provide proof that you are the owner, such as an Apple receipt showing your name.

14. Audit13 macrumors 601

Audit13

Replacing the ssd won't bypass the firmware password and allow you to reinstall the os.

The point of the firmware password is to prevent the air from booting from any drive other than the ssd inside the machine when the password was set.

15. chrfr macrumors 604

If you're the original buyer you can take your receipt to Apple and they can remove the firmware password. If you bought the computer used, your only option is to contact the previous owner and get them to give you the firmware password so you can enter it. Otherwise, you have a computer you can no longer use.

16. Wickintime macrumors newbie

Is it possible for me to check if I have a firmware password without locking myself out of my MBA? It is a 2015 machine which I purchased second hand. I want to upgrade the SSD but I'm reluctant to begin in case I get locked out.

17. smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

The following from @Audit13 should be what you're looking for:

18. Wickintime macrumors newbie

Yes indeed, hindsight is always good knowledge and that is now in my knowledge base. Unfortunately I've already been using it for 15 months!