Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RareBreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2019
Oxnard
I was trying to erased may hard drive and start from scratch as if I just bought it. Well I erased the Macintosh HD and now I get the folder with ? mark or padlock password screen. Now It does nothing while holding command + R at start up, or any other command for that matter. Please Help.

RareBreed

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2019
Oxnard
I tried doing that but all get is a padlock screen password. I've tried putting in mu admin. password and nothing. And yes the partition was erased. And when i use shift Option Command R all I get is a flashing file with ?

Last edited:

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
You could get a thumb drive with an OS installer on it then you can boot off the thumb drive, run disk utilities and reformat the SSD then reinstall the OS.

I have a few thumb drives with OS preinstalled. If you need one my recommendation is for you to get a 8GB or 16GB thumb drive. I can make one for you and then send it. If you're interested sent me a PM.

If you have a MacBook Air, you should have one of these bootable thumb drives in my opinion.

Reactions: Audit13

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I tried doing that but all get is a padlock screen password. I've tried putting in mu admin. password and nothing. And yes the partition was erased. And when i use shift Option Command R all I get is a flashing file with ?

Unfortunately, booting with anything other than the internal SSD will not work if the Air has an efi password.

I attached a picture of the EFI padlock screen.

Attachments

• 22BB579E-7933-4A51-9C52-BB354BEC56FB.png
    22BB579E-7933-4A51-9C52-BB354BEC56FB.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: Macdctr

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Unfortunately, booting with anything other than the internal SSD will not work if the Air has an efi password.

I attached a picture of the EFI padlock screen.

This is true and Apple will not help if you don't have a legit receipt proving that you're the legitimate owner of this laptop.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Very true. Hopefully, the OP is able to recover the password.

I hope so as well. Part of the risk of buying a "used" Mac laptop is if the previous owner placed an EFI password. Worse if they forgot their password.... it happens unfortunately. I have been lucky in that all my "used" Macs did not have an EFI password assigned to them.

Reactions: Audit13

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I hope so as well. Part of the risk of buying a "used" Mac laptop is if the previous owner placed an EFI password. Worse if they forgot their password.... it happens unfortunately. I have been lucky in that all my "used" Macs did not have an EFI password assigned to them.
Good idea when buying a used MacBook would be to boot the machine while holding down the option key.

Reactions: Macdctr

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
No, unfortunately.
The password is in firmware, not on the SSD.
The only fix now is to take to an Apple service shop, and provide proof that you are the owner, such as an Apple receipt showing your name.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
[doublepost=1564427196][/doublepost]Would replacing the SSD do the trick.
Replacing the ssd won't bypass the firmware password and allow you to reinstall the os.

The point of the firmware password is to prevent the air from booting from any drive other than the ssd inside the machine when the password was set.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I was trying to erased may hard drive and start from scratch as if I just bought it. Well I erased the Macintosh HD and now I get the folder with ? mark or padlock password screen. Now It does nothing while holding command + R at start up, or any other command for that matter. Please Help.
If you're the original buyer you can take your receipt to Apple and they can remove the firmware password. If you bought the computer used, your only option is to contact the previous owner and get them to give you the firmware password so you can enter it. Otherwise, you have a computer you can no longer use.

Wickintime

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Is it possible for me to check if I have a firmware password without locking myself out of my MBA? It is a 2015 machine which I purchased second hand. I want to upgrade the SSD but I'm reluctant to begin in case I get locked out.

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Is it possible for me to check if I have a firmware password without locking myself out of my MBA? It is a 2015 machine which I purchased second hand. I want to upgrade the SSD but I'm reluctant to begin in case I get locked out.

The following from @Audit13 should be what you're looking for:
Good idea when buying a used MacBook would be to boot the machine while holding down the option key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.