Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
I’m returning an iPhone I bought for my mother, it’s an iPhone 7, anyway it’s within its 14 day return policy but she’s used the earphones once, will I still get a refund if I send the phone back?

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
It’s a legitimate question. Since the earbuds have been in someone’s ears, they won’t be able to reshelve them (I’m assuming that’s what the OP is thinking). But yes, you’ll get a full refund as long as nothing has been damaged.

Thank you both, she put her sim in the phone will this still be ok.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Thanks everyone for your replies, they have really helped, my mother also threw away the plastic wrapping around the box when she received the phone, will this matter, thanks!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It’s a legitimate question. Since the earbuds have been in someone’s ears, they won’t be able to reshelve them (I’m assuming that’s what the OP is thinking). But yes, you’ll get a full refund as long as nothing has been damaged.

I am betting when the box gets back to the factory or where ever they refurbish devices, no one is going to inspect the earphones for earwax! They will automatically toss them with the box in the dumpster. They might keep the charger and cable.

It is hard to believe this was the reason for a new thread.

Last edited:

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
You might not even need those ear buds for a return.

You would think they would recycle them, like Best Buy, but i'm not sure what Apple does.

Also would probably depend on the person you are dealing with. But as far as Granny wax, not an issue.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
hopefully the earphones won’t be a problem, would be annoying if they declined the return based on the earphones being open and used a only once

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
When does the holiday return policy begin where you have 6 weeks to try the iPhone over just having 14 days? Is it on Thanksgiving Day, or maybe, Black Friday, the day after?

Apple has not announced the 2018/2019 holiday return window, but this was 2017/2018 Policy:

For the holidays, the company has expanded this window: If an item was purchased between November 15and December 25, 2017 you have until January 8, 2018 to return or exchange.”

Reactions: ET iPhone Home

profmjh

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
Nah I’m serious, I get paranoid about returns, honestly I’m not trolling

I totally understand your fears.

I’ve done a lot of returning of things to Apple. There’s never been a problem. I don’t even think they check the returned items very carefully. I once returned an Apple Watch with the wrong strap. (Same price point. Just a mix up.) No problem. Full refund.

This week I returned an AW strap. I was two days outside the 14 day window. I had an online chat, asked nicely, and they were fine with letting me return the strap.

Apple are brilliant at returns.

As regards the cellophane wrapping, I’ve returned an iPhone to both Argos and John Lewis (in the UK) despite having opened up the box and therefore broken all the seals. And despite putting the SIM card in and setting up the phone. Full refunds in both cases.

BTW To those people who are bound to want to weigh in with criticisms . . . I have spent tens of thousands of pounds with Apple over the years. Hell, I’ve spent about ten grand in the last two years alone. I’m so loyal to them precisely because of this level of customer service. If they didn’t do returns in this way, I wouldn’t take the risk in ordering items in the way that I do. I just wouldn’t bother at all. And it turns out that Apple’s profits and share price are quite good, despite all my returns.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I am betting when the box gets back to the factory or where ever they refurbish devices, no one is going to inspect the earphones for earwax! They will automatically toss them with the box in the dumpster. They might keep the charger and cable.

It is hard to believe this was the reason for a new thread.

Yeah I think after reading his subsequent posts that he’s certainly trolling.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Yeah I think after reading his subsequent posts that he’s certainly trolling.

Definitely trolling. He’s worrying about them not accepting the return because of used earphones and the plastic wrap. Where’s the worry about the damn phone?! I’d be more worried about that.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
iPhone all boxed up ready to be picked up for return on Tuesday, thanks for all your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.