Help me revamp my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cpt.iphone, Feb 19, 2009.

1. cpt.iphone macrumors member

Hey all!
    I have a 15" MBP (1.83Ghz and dual 512MB RAM) that I bought about 3 years ago. I know everyone here loves to figure out ways to make apple products better, so does anyone have any suggestions on how I can revamp my MBP? I have an iMac now so I use that for pix and movies so that isn't bogging down the laptop. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!:D: apple:

2. PacMookBro macrumors regular

2gb + Ssd

Get two 1GB PC2-5300 SDRAMs for 2GB memory upgrade for less than $50 bucks and one Intel SSD, if you have Benjamins to incinerate. :D

3. cpt.iphone thread starter macrumors member

4. PacMookBro macrumors regular

80GB for about $360
    160GB for about $730
    at newegg

The price is acidic but it will soothe dramatically over time...

5. srexy macrumors 6502a

Ram - check
    SSD drive - bollocks - just pick up one of the newer 7200rpm drives w/a 16mb cache and you'll still be laughing.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

That's smart. Pay like $800 in upgrades when his computer is worth less. :rolleyes:

7. puma1552 macrumors 601

Given the fact the laptop is three years old and a massive failure is probably imminent at some point within the next year, I would just save for a new computer. No matter how much money you throw at it you will still be CPU limited.

8. PacMookBro macrumors regular

Realistically, the first generation 1.83 Ghz MBP only needs 2GB ram upgrade. I remember going from 512MB to 2GB was significant on my first 1.83 MBP. 1.83Ghz Core Duo is still a fast and recent CPU and it can handle most of the tasks most computer users do everyday.

By the time you see the limit in 1.83, buy a new MBP to suit your need.

(The latest 15" MBP hard drive is user-replaceable so if you, an enthusiast, must have SSD now, you can always transplant it in your next MBP.)

I hope this helps.