Help me set a sale price for my 09 Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Montymitch, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Montymitch macrumors regular

Montymitch

I'm helping my dad sell his Mac Pro, and have no idea what it's worth. I know that people buying machines like this are going to be much more inclined to customize their own box, so we know we'll likely take a substantial loss. Here are the specs, straight from System Information:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
    Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
    Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
    Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz
    Number of Processors: 2
    Total Number of Cores: 12
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB
    Memory: 64 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 6.4 GT/s

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-1
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 2048 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x1180
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3731

Storage:
    2x 2tb drives
    1x 1tb SSD

It also has a USB 3 card.

Since this thing is so far from stock, I'm struggling to come up with a price tag. What does Macrumors think?

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

not to seem mean or anything, customization only goes so far...

Unless someone wants all these features, on an older machine you wont get what you imagine.

If i was to put it on ebay i would think you could get a grand or more, maybe. try: http://www.mac2sell.net/

3. Montymitch thread starter macrumors regular

Montymitch

I know. It's kind of like home improvements. Maybe eBay with a starting bid around $1500?
    I'm also considering selling some of the ram separately, and maybe even the SSD.

4. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

http://www.mac2sell.net

It may demonstrate a bit on the high end but let's not kid ourselves that this is still a very capable machine and benchmarks close and exceeds some models of nMP. If you have to move it quickly, then price it like the store's going out of business. Depending on your location, you may be able to find someone in the post-production industry looking to add another machine but didn't want to purchase the nMP.

Macs have long held their resell value and to be honest this setup is pretty well specced out for someone to get to work, and other than swapping out the GPU(if that one you have is the Mac 680 version and a potential buyer may want to keep it for the boot screen) for a Titan or 780, I can't see anything of great significance to add right off the bat; so don't shortchange the value if you can help it(I would even think $1500 is way too low).

5. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Probably you can try pricing your upgraded 2009 Mac Pro around $3k to $3500. There are some upgraded 2009 Mac Pros ( upgraded to 12 core 2.66ghz) going for an average price of $2500-$2600 and they get sold sometimes.

6. brand macrumors 601

brand

If it is a 2009 Mac Pro then it is a 4,1 model. Just because you flashed a hacked EFI and upgraded the CPU does not make it a 5,1.

7. Montymitch thread starter macrumors regular

Montymitch

I noticed this, too. I copied and pasted that info straight from System Information. Since I'm not the original owner, purchaser or modifier, I'm just reporting what I see. Do you think the system updated that info automatically or would it take some tinkering from the PO?

8. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

It quite hard to build this machine with less than $3300. So, if you are not rushing to sell it. May be start with this price.

I think this price is quite realistic for someone is looking for a "ready to use" machine and don't want to do any hands on upgrade.

However, if you want to sell it ASAP, most likely you have to lower the price to below $3000.