Help me settle an argument! Steak dinner on the line!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonewiz, Jul 17, 2008.

1. iphonewiz macrumors regular

I have a friend who develops mobile phone apps (Java / Brew stuff). Anyway, I've been trying to get him to port some of his concepts to the iPhone, but he remains unpersuaded.

I'm like. "DUDE, the APP STORE is where it's at! I bet you a steak dinner that by this time next year revenues from the App Store alone will be upwards of $150 million dollars/year for Apple."

He thinks that Apple's App store revenues will be like $30 million per year. I told him he was CRAZY!

I figured that there will be 15 million iPhones worldwide by this time next year, with each users spending on the avg of $10 per year for apps.

Where should I go for my steak dinner?

2. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

DEpends where u live, In florida, i would go to ruth chris steakhouse which is fancy smancy and expensive. Or just go to outback.

3. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

Ummm, not to state the obvious, but no one here can settle this argument / bet. You'll have to wait for the results. And that is only if Apple is kind enough to break out earnings on the Application segment of the iTunes store, which I view as unlikely.

4. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

Don't forget about iPod Touch's as well. But I'm not so sure about your $10/user number. That might be a little high.

5. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

Rough location? Haha. Like... state would be nice.

6. iphonewiz thread starter macrumors regular

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Don't forget that Apple only gets 30% of that $150M. The other 70% goes to developers. Your friend's number is closer to the 30% number, so make sure you are both speaking about the same numbers.

8. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Go to buckhead brewery. My cousin used to manage it and was always tasty. lol

9. mkoesel macrumors regular

I think your number is probably closer than his. But you might be a bit over - we'll see.

10. elbirth macrumors 65816

exactly. no point in arguing it and trying to settle something until a year from now since no one in the world can say for sure at this point.

one thing to consider is that there was over 10million app downloads in the first day or so alone. granted the vast majority of those were probably free apps, but it still gives you an idea of the scope of the app store

11. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Ok. Since you're in Atlanta, forget Outback and forget Buckhead Brewery or whatever it's called. If you're just going for the regular stuff, then those are fine. If you want some good steaks and want your friend to come out the pocket for being nuts, then here's the list in no particular order...

Ruth Chris
    Morton's
    McKendricks
    Bones

If your friend is kind of broke but will spend because he lost the bet, go to Houstons.

12. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

As a Java developer, I can totally understand why he doesn't want to port to the iPhone....

It's a PITA! You gotta learn a new IDE (XCode), have to learn a new language (Objective C 2.0), learn the SDK, learn the Apple /Cocoa conventions for things... Oh, and there's like little good example documentation for it all...

Coming from C++ to Objective C would be a LOT easier than coming from Java...

I look at the Objective C examples for the iPhone and just say "OMG this is RETARDED!!!! this is the ugliest damn syntax I've ever seen!"

It's like being asked to translate Tolstoy without a Russian Dictionary, not knowing Russian, and not even understanding the Cryllic Alphabet!

Hopefully the 2 books coming out in Sept/Oct on Objective C and iPhone SDK development will help that process along.

Once you get used to one environment and very comfortable in it, it's HARD to change to one so different.

13. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

I think what he's trying to say is....get lobster instead of steak.

14. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I would be suprised if you don't win the bet before the end of this year.

15. iphonewiz thread starter macrumors regular

In the age of 24hr news, it's the American way to pontificate about the future! Seriously, we were talking about Gross revenues generated by the App Store. Who do you think is closer, my guess of $150mill or his $30mill?

Apple often boasts about how many songs it sells on iTunes. I'm pretty confident that Apple will put some number out there regarding the App Store.

16. ogdogg macrumors 6502

Screw steak. It's all about the KFC mashed potato bowls wizzy.

(but if you're being serious, you gotta go Ruth's Chris Steakhouse)

17. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

When you mean revenue you mean total revenue right not just Apple's share?

Then yeah easily you win.

As others noted, with 6 million original iPhones, the Touches out there and probably a whole heap of 3G iPhones, you will be looking at only $10 per device to get there.

18. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I've been to all the fancy steakhouses in ATL thanks to business meetings and I will have to say hands down its Bones. Ruth Chris is crap and all the others mentioned don't hold a flame to the Fart from Bones.

19. iphonewiz thread starter macrumors regular

Right, total not just Apple's share.

20. brian.kirby macrumors newbie

21. Jsha224 macrumors newbie

go the that awesome restaurant on top of the Westin Hotel. The one that revolves 360 degrees. It's like 87 stories up i dont remember the exact number. Took my fiancé there one time and had a great time. Formal dress code. It's on top of the tallest hotel in north america, cant go wrong!

22. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Prime Steakhouse at Lenox Square. (Right down from the Apple Store.)

Best steak I've ever had.

Flemings comes in a very...VERY close second.

23. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Well, even so, unless your argument was 'I bet you a steak dinner that people on macrumors forums will think that apple's app store gross revenue will be $150million' then our responses here don't mean anything to this argument. Only facts will straighten it out and we won't have the ones you need for a good while yet.

Life's too short to argue. Does it even matter? Just go and have a nice steak dinner anyway!