Help me settle my decisions on MBP or iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jrock2004, Jun 1, 2014.

1. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Introduction
    So I made a mistake and bought an alienware 14 and now I need to get my mac back. I am just struggling on either getting a MacBook Pro or an iMac. So let me start off and list what I have now

Current Hardware
    • Alienware 14 [Going to give to my neice]
    • 2.3 GHz Windows 7 Desktop
    • 2007ish Aliumium iMac 19 inch
    • Nexus 5
    • Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

What do I do
    What do I do with my computer? Well I am a programmer, html,php,java,rails, and I do some gaming but not as much as I use to. LoL, SWTOR. Currently I have two external monitors that plug into my laptop

My current thoughts
    So I am not a guy that carries my laptop everywhere. The only time that would happen is if, for my work I use my personal machine instead of my crappy work laptop. Once a month I go to a mac group meeting so I would bring it for that. When I am home and I am in the front of the TV, I use my phone or tablet to surf. So with what I listed here it sounds like the iMac would make sense but then I would leave myself with no mobile laptop solution.

So any advice or thoughts would that would help, thanks

2. rei101 macrumors 6502a

I would get a MacBookPro.

I just sold my 2011 iMac and kept my 17" Mac Book Pro from 2008. I have an iPad that I do not use much and an iPhone.

What I like about my MBP is that I can use it in my bed or I can take it anywhere if I need to, just because using the iPad is a pain, browsing is clumsy compared with the MBP.

The iMac is great if I am into video editing or motion graphics but I am not doing any of that right now, I use the computers at work.

And my boss has a 15 MBP and he does loads of codding using that machine. So, I believe the MBP would do just fine for you. The mobility will be more usefull than the extra horsepower that you won't be using any way.

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Something to consider is that desktop computers will typically outlast laptops. The components will be more powerful per dollar, and the computer will have less wear. The rMBP will be powerful enough to meet all your needs, but the iMac will last longer and potentially be cheaper. If you do not need portability, I would highly recommend getting an iMac. It has a gorgeous 27" screen, and you can pick up a refurbished 2012 i7/1TB Fusion/8GB RAM/gtx 680mx model for 1949$. It will be a powerhouse for the next 4-5 years. If you would benefit from portability, then get the rMBP. Portability comes at a cost, so if you don't need it then don't get it. Just my opinion.

Matt