Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Hi,
I finally bagged myself a used Mac Mini 2010 that will be used as a media player to my 42" LG LED TV.

The specs are:
2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067MHz DDR3 [now upgraded to 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3]
320 GB HDD [now upgraded to 240GB Kingston V300 SSD (older and faster circuits)]

Its currently running Mavericks.

First of all, can I switch the memory sticks from my Macbook Pro and put in the mini. The specs of the Macbook RAM is 2x2 GB 1333MHz DDR3. I'm gonna upgrade my Macbook Ram anyways.

How do I go about to downgrade OSX? I have both Lion and Mountain Lion connected to my iTunes account on my Macbook Pro.

I thought I'd gonna use this thread for general setting up so I'll post new questions as soon as I get further in the progress here.

----------

BTW I purchased the mini for 319 USD on a Swedish equvalent to Ebay.

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Hi,
I finally bagged myself a used Mac Mini 2010 that will be used as a media player to my 42" LG LED TV.

The specs are:
2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067MHz DDR3
320 GB HDD

First of all, can I switch the memory sticks from my Macbook Pro and put in the mini. The specs of the Macbook RAM is 2x2 GB 1333MHz DDR3. I'm gonna upgrade my Macbook Ram anyways.

How do I go about to downgrade OSX? I have both Lion and Mountain Lion connected to my iTunes account on my Macbook Pro.

I thought I'd gonna use this thread for general setting up so I'll post new questions as soon as I get further in the progress here.

----------

The 1333MHz RAM may or may not work in both slots. If it doesn't work the mini will beep and not boot. If it boots you are good to go.

If the 1333MHz RAM doesn't work in both slots it will likely work in just one slot, with one of the 1GB sticks in the other. Might have to swap positions.

Michael

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Hi,

The specs are:
2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 1067MHz DDR3
320 GB HDD

----------

If the 1333MHz RAM won't work with your 2010 Mini, you can buy a (Windows-only) $10 app which converts a 1333Mhz module to 1066MHz. That's how I installed 8+8GB 1333MHz sticks on my 2010 Mini.

kboller07

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2007
As for downgrading OS X. You can create a usb boot disk using the Lion or Mountain Lion installer.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1167857/how_to_make_a_bootable_mountain_lion_install_drive.html

Then boot up into recovery holding both command and r at startup. Delete your current drive in disk utility by reformatting your current Mavericks drive, note that everything will be deleted so you may want to back everything up. Then boot up holding alt/option and choose your sub install disk. Then follow the reinstall instructions onscreen.

iAchmann

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
Parkhill, ON

no - just go to any computer part supplier co web site - and you can find 8 GB (2x4) 1066 Mhx ram for less than $100

In Canada:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...179&cm_re=apple_memory-_-20-233-179-_-Product

In USA:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...odel_CMSA8GX3M2A1066C7-_-20-233-179-_-Product

Start from scratch - load the OSX version fresh - that prevents any problems by trying to do something funny

Your price was ok.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
no - just go to any computer part supplier co web site - and you can find 8 GB (2x4) 1066 Mhx ram for less than $100[/url]
As pointed out the answer is not no. You can most definitely use the Windows utility to use that RAM in a 2010 mini. Alternately many have had success just using it as-is (it either works or it doesn't). Finally, one stick of the OEM and one stick 1333MHz will work.

My read on the OP was he wasn't wanting to invest much in that 2010 mini.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

iAchmann

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2014
Parkhill, ON
The answer, in the real world, is no. You can not suggest some answer that *might* work. Some one might spend money on that kind of RAM and then just *hope it works?*. You may have tonnes of money and can waste it like that if it doesn't work, but then you wouldn't be looking for a used out of date machine. Please, read the specs and don't just *try* things as it might destroy what you have. Then if it's busted, what's the good if that?

Also, once you install RAM you can't return it. So you're out double if it doesn't work.

Is suggesting anything other than spec memory acceptable? No, not if you want to do things readonably.

That's my two cents - heed it or possibly waste money

Last edited:

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
The answer, in the real world, is no. You can not suggest some answer that *might* work. Some one might spend money on that kind of RAM and then just *hope it works?*. You may have tonnes of money and can waste it like that if it doesn't work, but then you wouldn't be looking for a used out of date machine. Please, read the specs and don't just *try* things as it might destroy what you have. Then if it's busted, what's the good if that?

Also, once you install RAM you can't return it. So you're out double if it doesn't work.

Is suggesting anything other than spec memory acceptable? No, not if you want to do things readonably.

That's my two cents - heed it or possibly waste money
It would have been faster to actually read the OP than to type that bizarre response. Wow.

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Thanks for all the help so far. As for OSX I find Mavericks ok, even with 2GB of RAM. Sure i see the beachball here and there but I think I'll be fine when upgrading the RAM and a SSD. So for now I'm sticking with Mavericks but will hold off on Yosemite until I hear from people using it on 2010 Minis.

As for the Ram I'm gonna start with upgrading my Macbook Pro and then put the 4GB from that one in the mini. They have different MHz. The Macbook modules are 1333mhz and the current ones in my Mini is 1067MHz. As for compatibility between different RAM I'm getting confused. On a swedish forum they claim that newer RAM always work with computers that have slower MHz on their connectors.

As for that windows app that brdeveloper mentions, does anyone have a link to that one?
FYI: I'm only gonna run OSX on the mini.

Finally I want to move my iTunes music library from my macbook to the mini. Any advice when doing that???

Last edited:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
As for that windows app that brdeveloper mentions, does anyone have a link to that one?
FYI: I'm only gonna run OSX on the mini.

Actually they increased their prices a bit (now the personal version costs $16)
http://www.softnology.biz/licenses.html

You just need applying the changes in one of the modules. Install your module on a Windows machine (it can be in a Windows installation in your Mini with bootcamp, but not in a virtual machine like Parallels/VMWare/Virtualbox).

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Actually they increased their prices a bit (now the personal version costs $16)
http://www.softnology.biz/licenses.html

You just need applying the changes in one of the modules. Install your module on a Windows machine (it can be in a Windows installation in your Mini with bootcamp, but not in a virtual machine like Parallels/VMWare/Virtualbox).

Sorry but this sollution is way above my head esp. considering that I don't want anythong whatsoever with Windows to do.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
It still might just work with both faster memory sticks installed--without doing anything other than installing them.

If that doesn't work you can use one original and one 1333MZz for a total of 3GB RAM. Not a lot of RAM but if 2GB was satisfactory than this is 50% more.

Michael

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Finally ordered some new memory modules to my macbook pro. So as soon as they arrive I'm gonna put in the 4GB from my macbook into the mini.

I've also started looking for a SSD drive to the mini. I'm aiming at a 256GB product. I've seen in other threads that some 2010" Minis have issues with certain SATA III drives that they can only read/write SATA I speed. How common is this?

As for now I'm currently considering these two as possible candidates.
Samsung 840 EVO Series SSD 250GB SATA3 Basic Kit
Crucial MX100 256GB SATA SSD 2.5" 7mm

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I've seen in other threads that some 2010" Minis have issues with certain SATA III drives that they can only read/write SATA I speed. How common is this?

I have a 120GB PNY XLR8 (SATAIII) which step down to SATAI even if it finds a SATAII bus.

I also have a Samsung 840 EVO and a Crucial M500 (both SATAIII) which downrate properly to SATAII.

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Last edited:

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
I'm also considering putting my Kingston 240GB SSDNow V300 SATA3 2,5" which I'm currently have in my Macbook Pro in the mini and getting the Crucial MX100 512GB a for the macbook pro.

Anyone heard anything about Kingston V300 SATAII compatibility regarding speeds in Mac Mini 2010? Note that I have the older version that doesn't have the newer slower memory circuits.

Last edited:

HandySam

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
Just go for the Crucial MX100 series. They are the only consumer SSD's with some kind of power loss protection. Crucial SSD's in general are known for their reliability and compatibility.

The performance difference between the Crucial MX100 and the Samsung EVO is not worth it. You won't notice this in real life. Normally the MX100 is cheaper then the Samsung.

In my 2010 Mac Mini I had some problems with a Samsung 840 Pro on the latest firmware. I didn't want to go through the hassle of downgrading the firmware so I swapped it with a crucial M500. Since then I have no problems anymore.

As for the RAM thing. It shouldn't matter which speed of RAM you put in the machine. The computer determines the speed of the RAM not the sticker on the RAM. The sticker only says which speeds are guaranteed. RAM does have built-in profiles according to the JEDEC standard. The speeds in these profiles vary from quite low to the maximum supported speed. Normally the computer picks the profile with the highest speed it supports.

Last edited:

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Update! I have now put in 16GB in my macbook pro and put the old 4GB in the mini. Unfortunately it didn't work to well. Got a hard black kernel re-boot and then OSX kept logging me out to the log-in screen for some reason. I'm gonna buy 8GB of memory with the correct speed as soon as I can afford it.

As for the harddrive switch I got a little burnt the screwdrivers I had weren't really that Torch compatible so I need to find another kit. I hope I didn't mess up the screws to much.

Last edited:

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Update! I have now put in 16GB in my macbook pro and put the old 4GB in the mini. Unfortunately it didn't work to well. Got a hard black kernel re-boot and then OSX kept logging me out to the log-in screen for some reason. I'm gonna buy 8GB of memory with the correct speed as soon as I can afford it.

As for the harddrive switch I got a little burnt the screwdrivers I had weren't really that Torch compatible so I need to find another kit. I hope I didn't mess up the screws to much.

How about the Thaiphoon software? It's pretty easy to reconfigure one of the sticks to respond "I'm a 1066MHz module, your dumb logic board".

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
So I've now put in 8gb of 1067MHz ram in the mini. Unfortunately it still has dropped frames when playing 1080p files. Will that disappear when switching to an SSD drive or is it a processor/HDD/SSD conection thing that will remain there even after an upgrade since the connector is only SATA II?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
So I've now put in 8gb of 1067MHz ram in the mini. Unfortunately it still has dropped frames when playing 1080p files. Will that disappear when switching to an SSD drive or is it a processor/HDD/SSD conection thing that will remain there even after an upgrade since the connector is only SATA II?

What software are you using to play 1080p files? Is it coming from an HDTV USB adapter?

VLC player stutters a lot with standard HDDs. With a SSD, my video playing improved a lot, but it may not be your case.

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
The files I've tested were MP4's so I used quicktime... Maybe should do a testsession using VLC instead but might be a waste of time according to your input here.

The mini is connected to the TV through HDMI.

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Finally did the switch and put in my old Kingston V300 SSD from my macbook in the mini. Now it finally plays 1080p files without dropping frames in the beginning.

The install was quite tedious and the tutorial video I used actually had a couple of errors and vague sequences so it took a little longer than expected but I'm really satisfied that I got it done!

antz359

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
New Zealand
Hi
First time posting
Your MM2010 is very similiar to mine, I have a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB along with 8Gb RAM.
What is your boot time?
Mines 27sec from power on to dock first appearing, cheers

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.