Help me setup a mac media server solution

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iWalsh, Jul 30, 2009.

1. iWalsh macrumors member

I am a recent convert to mac and loving it. I do however want to set up a media server - to serve movies to each television via xbox and playstation. I am currently using HP MediaServer. I have had issues with it and want to explore the mac route.

If I have a time capsule can i serve movies to xbox etc anywhere in the house? Or would it be better to have a mac mini to do it or even both?

I would really appreciate any ideas or tips anyone has on this..,,:)

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I don't think a TC can serve files to an Xbox as it doesn't have Bonjour. Same goes for the Playstation.

I know the Xbox can read any shared files shared with SMB, so a Mac Mini with SMB installed can share. Also, there are both Playstation and Xbox media server applications for Mac.

I assume the Xbox is an 360 and the Playstation is 3?

3. iWalsh thread starter macrumors member

Yeah - 360 and playstation 3. So if you hooked up a mini and time capsule could you stream the files off the capsule through the mini to the xbox and playstation?

The mini has such a small harddrive - it would have to be upgraded. It is also a fairly expensive setup if you have to use both the mini and capsule.

I would still love to have a mac setup - it would be cool.

4. iWalsh thread starter macrumors member

Anyone else have any ideas on this. I would love to know if anyone has set up a server using mac hardware. Or if anyone has any ideas on the best way to go about it.

5. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Try medialink it's $20 and I believe it works for both xbox and ps3.

http://www.nullriver.com/products/medialink

6. j2048b macrumors 6502a

ps3 media server (ps3 and xbox)/ or playon media server (which also includes netflix and hulu) and a beta of a server for anything you add to it!!

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

forum and donloads are on the right side panel

i use both ps3 media server and the server from playon but playon is for windows only:(

7. rs.shadow0000 macrumors newbie

I don't anticipate a TC can serve files to an Xbox as it doesn't accept Bonjour. Same goes for the Playstation.

I apperceive the Xbox can apprehend any aggregate files aggregate with SMB, so a Mac Mini with SMB installed can share. Also, there are both Playstation and Xbox media server applications for Mac.