help me share PC's internet on my rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jk73, Sep 26, 2012.

1. jk73 macrumors 6502

I'm staying at my sister's place for a few months. She has an HP Pavilion PC laptop and an ethernet/USB cable modem without Wi-Fi. As a lifelong Apple user, I know nothing about Windows or PCs.

What's the best way to share the internet from the PC *wirelessly* to my rMBP? I've tried setting up an ad hoc computer network and it works, but the connection seems to crap out within 5 minutes. I'm hoping for an always-on solution rather than constantly needing to disconnect and re-connect.

Thanks in advance for all help.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Wouldn't know why it would die every 5 mins. So exactly what u do to restore connection?

3. jk73 thread starter macrumors 6502

I go to Wi-Fi in the menu bar and choose "Disconnect from ____." I wait about 10 seconds and then re-connect, and it works again.

I can't tell if it's an IP address problem, a problem with the PC dropping the internet connection, or an unstable internet connection. (I have the PC set to not go to sleep, so that shouldn't be the issue.)

4. jedolley macrumors 68000

If you are going to be staying there a couple months, why don't you just pick up a cheap wireless router? You could probably get one for $20-$30 easy.

5. jk73 thread starter macrumors 6502

I might end up doing that, but I was hoping to just piggyback off the existing setup. I'm used to being able to share the internet off an MBP with a couple clicks and no hassles, so this PC experience has been frustrating.