Help me solve my delimma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wheelhot, Mar 8, 2008.

1. wheelhot macrumors 68020

Hi,
    Im currently thinking if I should purchase my first notebook ASAP or I should wait till Montevina appears.

Here is my problem, first of all I feel it is harder to survive without a proper laptop, Im currently using my mom's laptop and its hard cause its old and slow and believe it or not, photoshop cannot get started (I belive cause maybe its spec is too low).

My second problem is if I were to wait, I need to wait for Montevina which is sometime this coming June. My college start in May so mostlikely I need to suffer for 1 more month.

My third problem is the new MacBook has only 3mb (penryn) of cache compared to 4 (merom). Is this 1 mb will affect me if I do can say a lot of multitask?

Usually Im going to be opening iTunes, a few web browsers at the same time and sometime even more extreme.

As my understanding goes Montevina will come with GMA4500 which is claimed to be 2X faster then 3400.

Okay, to sum it up. I will be using my notebook for programming, photoshop, website designing and website coding, college work, VMWare Fusion (Windows for some projects) and SolidWorks. So should I wait or just get the MacBook?

*I know of the philosophy get it when you need it or wait.

2. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

So wait until right before your college starts and see what is going on then. If it seems like there will definitely be a new MB on the horizon, you can decide if you want to tough it out for another month or so.

Just add more RAM and you shouldn't see to many issues. I have a 2.0 MB with 1GB of RAM and have had iTunes, Flash, Dreamweaver and/or Safari/Photoshop open before, without too much hassle. Sometimes it slows down for a few seconds, but nothing earth shattering.

The only thing that might concern me with your setup is Fusion/Windows. That might slow things down if you're running a lot of stuff in parallel.

3. wheelhot thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, if I wait till my college starts, might as well I wait for Montevina cause by then it will release in 1-2months.

Besides, I have the tendency in owning recently updated stuff. I got my 3G iPod Nano 3 days after it was released.

Well I belive mostlikely Im going to use Windows is to do Visual C++ programming and to eliminate my stress, Im goin to run iTunes on the Mac. So you think it will still lag my PC down?