Help me spend money, please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jesyjames02, Jun 8, 2015.

1. jesyjames02 macrumors newbie

Long story short: My 2012 15" rMBP took a bath in a diet coke and is currently throwing a tantrum.

The natural thought would be to replace it with a 2015 15" rMBP, but for whatever reason I'm having the hardest time buying what appears to be essentially the exact same computer I bought back in 2012. I know the touchpad is different, slight processor upgrade, faster storage, 8 gb more ram, slightly better dGPU(unless I go for the base model). It just seems like a ton of money for a slightly different performing machine.

There is a 13" rMBP with a 256 gb ssd open box at my local best buy that is $1300 and might be even cheaper because when I was in there on Saturday every used laptop they had was an additional 25 percent off because they were trying to clean out their return bin. I plan to stop by there later tonight to see if the 13" qualifies for this(It wasn't listed on Saturday). If so(and only if so), that's a very tempting offer... even though it will be smaller and not quite the same performer.

Since I spend most my time at home(work from home), I've even toyed with the idea of getting a 27" 5k imac and then just getting an ipad air 2 for my portable needs(currently have a 3rd gen ipad that's feeling a bit slow).

I actually bought an Amazon Warehouse 15" base model rMBP that showed up with a completely non-functional keyboard. Lucky me.

-----
    What do I use my macbook for? Well, nothing. Right now I just look at it sitting on the table and weep for days gone by. What did I use it for? Music editing(Logic), Photo editing(Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture), web browsing and amusement(anytime I didn't feel like being desk constrained), media consumption (directly plugged into entertainment center).

I do have a very well equipped pc desktop rig that is my main machine. For whatever reason, anything 'creative' I enjoyed doing more on my laptop and mostly use the desktop for work/gaming.

So.... what would you do ?

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Well, first try to think of it not that your upgrading to a machine that's not largely different but replacing one with another that happens to be better lol. With what you said about staying at home, maybe re-evaluate if you even need the MacBook. Sure its portable and that can be huge, but how often do you take it any ware, do you move it around your house or not. With the apps you say you use, you may benefit with the real-estate of a 27in retina iMac

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

You sound like the perfect candidate for the 5k imac.