Help me spend my money...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by altecXP, Apr 18, 2011.

1. altecXP macrumors 65816

So I do a lot of Database work on my MacBook Pro(see sig) and I am in a toss up.

Do I:

A) Change my 240GB SSD to a storage drive, make my 500GB(it really just holds my Downloads folder, iTunes and StarCraft) an external and then get a 120GB SATA3 from OWC

B) Buy the 1600MHz RAM that's proven to work in the new SNB MBP's?

Which would help with working with large databases more?

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I would guess SSD since you're always retrieving huge chunks of data, but what do I know.

3. altecXP thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I know that DB's use a lot of disk activity, but I don't know what will really show a bigger gain. I never really paid attention to how much DB's rely on memory.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Faster memory rarely helps since in most cases there is some other bottlenecks. Faster SSD might help

5. bamf macrumors 6502

How large is your database working set? Memory helps a ton with databases, but if your working set is small it may already be residing in memory.

If the set is really large, then the faster I/O that a faster SSD provides may help. Not sure if the Sandforce based drives will help a ton on databases though, that's something you may want to research independently.

6. altecXP thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm currently working with 10GB, but it will be growing soon as the project grows.

7. bamf macrumors 6502

So you would need to go to 16GB of RAM to make a difference then, so I'd say look at the faster SSD. At least that way when you swap you'll be doing it to a faster disk.

8. dommeister macrumors member