Help me stop hating my new Mac Mini w/Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rscott78, Aug 16, 2011.

1. rscott78, Aug 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

rscott78 macrumors newbie

At the risk of some public flogging, I'm going to admit that I'm a Windows guy through-and-through.

I was just given a Mac Mini at work and I'm told to go learn XCode and write an app. No problem there.

I've got a nice Dual monitor setup on my Windows PC. I need to find a way to connect (remotely) to my Mac Mini. With Windows 7, I can connect to a remote desktop and use Dual monitors - everything I read says that's not possible to do with a Mac (OK, so I guess if I'm going to an inferior OS I can expect inferior features ;) ) - I can live with this, however I can't even find a way to remote onto my Mac using a single monitor.

Supposedly Lion has a VNC server built into it. So I go exploring for the option. Everyone says there is a "Sharing" option in System preferences, yet I have none. I've seen screen shots of where it's supposed to be, but mine is mysteriously missing.

So... have at it. Make me love my mac. Please :)

R

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Your inquiry is a little vague; are you trying to connect a monitor to the mac Mini itself? Or are you trying to access it through VNC or some program like this?

Try cutting out the unnecessary stuff and ask your question in a straightforward manner. Nobody cares if you like Windows 7 over Lion.

3. rscott78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Edited my post to be more clear...

To summarize though, I have two physical monitors connected to my Windows machine. I'd like to use Windows to remote onto my Mac Mini. So far I have tried to run a VNC server (Vine VNC, which just crashes when I start it), and tried to use the one that's "Built into" the OS, which I can't seem to find to activate (there's no "Sharing" option in the System Preferences).

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

The "Sharing" panel should be in the third row of System Preferences - the row labeled "Internet & Wireless" at the extreme right end. Looks like a blue folder with a yellow-diamond road sign with a nifty little guy in the middle.

If you can't find it, can you post a screenshot (Cmd-Shift-3 for whole screen, cmd-Shift-4 to take a shot of a specific area)

We'll help. Hang in there, learning Mac from Windows is frustrating.