Help me study? :)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sportsfanMAW, Apr 29, 2009.

1. sportsfanMAW macrumors regular

So I thought of a clever way to study for a spanish test. I have to know all these words in order, so I took the first letter of each and was going to make a sentence or paragraph to help me remember. I have a few sentences but they don't make very much sense, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Here are the Letters in order:

R S P A P R A V M S M A R C B L I P P S S A T P P D L Y R P E H A E H N E R P A E E L J

So for example I could start with:
    Running swiftly Passing Acorns

I'm not great at it so I was hoping you guys might be better!

If you so take the time, then Thanks!

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Rapidly sweating piss and paper, running a vehicle, madly screaming murder and running circles besides lamps, indicating pen pushing stationary stations are the pushiest pisspoor diplomatic-loving yuppies repenting pent-up, embezzling, harping anger, engineers has never entered rapture.

3. iNash macrumors 6502

iNash

I hate to be an idea crusher but this rarely works. In order to learn the original words you are learning a new set of words - very difficult.

Generally the human brain will remember 7 things clearly at a time, so that's a good place to start.

Another great way is to apply the Von Rastohf theory which is where you associate a picture to each word to help you remember.

For example to help you remember to ask people how they are you would use a picture of someone who is sick.

This has proved to be one of the most effective ways of learning, that coupled with writing things down rather than just reading/saying them will help you massively!

Just my 'expert' opinion :)

4. sportsfanMAW thread starter macrumors regular

Normally I would agree with you, But I know the words, just not in order. All year we've been studying them and now he decides that he wants us to have them all in order. Normally i write down the newest ones first, then the ones i normally forget, then the ones i know. That usually keeps me in the A range. So with this I can sit there and fill in as they come back to me.

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I don't mean to put water on the flames of intellectual pursuit, but I think you'll find it harder remembering a paragraph that is an acronym for a series of unrelated words. Memory works by making connections to things that have a pattern - in this case you have the pattern already, but turning it into a paragraph of English words (lost connection #1) that constitute an acronym (connection #2) for a series of Spanish words is three connections away from your target, which means you'll have to remember three sizable chunks of information.

My recommendation is to take up chess - spend about an hour a day studying moves and variations, openings and gambits and problems - as well as covering the well known games of grandmasters. Do this avidly for about six months and you'll have a better memory than you can imagine. It really does keep your brain alive. not that you have that much time, of course... ;)

6. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I'm curious (I'm studying Spanish at university) what words are they and why do you have to learn them in a specific order?

7. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

The "seven things" could be chunks. You could remember hundreds of things if they chunked into seven (actually +/- 2) units. (Wiki A. Miller, short term memory, information processing). So let's say you have a 7 room house. (Worked for Simonides around 100 BC Greece, who invented the visual "method of loci"). Kitchen, Dining Room, Living Room, Den, Attic, Parents Bedroom, Kids Bedroom). Draw a floor plan. You have 44 words. You could arrange 7 words within each room, maybe as a sentence in each room. Hey, you could even memorize them in...get this...Spanish :D. If you come up with the sentences yourself (rather than someone giving them to you), practice them by writing and saying them out loud over a few days (not the night before), and get a good night's sleep before the exam, you'll ace the exam.