Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sportsfanMAW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
So I thought of a clever way to study for a spanish test. I have to know all these words in order, so I took the first letter of each and was going to make a sentence or paragraph to help me remember. I have a few sentences but they don't make very much sense, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Here are the Letters in order:

R S P A P R A V M S M A R C B L I P P S S A T P P D L Y R P E H A E H N E R P A E E L J

So for example I could start with:
Running swiftly Passing Acorns

I'm not great at it so I was hoping you guys might be better!

If you so take the time, then Thanks!

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Rapidly sweating piss and paper, running a vehicle, madly screaming murder and running circles besides lamps, indicating pen pushing stationary stations are the pushiest pisspoor diplomatic-loving yuppies repenting pent-up, embezzling, harping anger, engineers has never entered rapture.

iNash

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2009
Hanslope, UK
So I thought of a clever way to study for a spanish test. I have to know all these words in order, so I took the first letter of each and was going to make a sentence or paragraph to help me remember. I have a few sentences but they don't make very much sense, so I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Here are the Letters in order:

R S P A P R A V M S M A R C B L I P P S S A T P P D L Y R P E H A E H N E R P A E E L J

So for example I could start with:
Running swiftly Passing Acorns

I'm not great at it so I was hoping you guys might be better!

If you so take the time, then Thanks!

I hate to be an idea crusher but this rarely works. In order to learn the original words you are learning a new set of words - very difficult.

Generally the human brain will remember 7 things clearly at a time, so that's a good place to start.

Another great way is to apply the Von Rastohf theory which is where you associate a picture to each word to help you remember.

For example to help you remember to ask people how they are you would use a picture of someone who is sick.

This has proved to be one of the most effective ways of learning, that coupled with writing things down rather than just reading/saying them will help you massively!

Just my 'expert' opinion :)

sportsfanMAW

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
I hate to be an idea crusher but this rarely works. In order to learn the original words you are learning a new set of words - very difficult.

Generally the human brain will remember 7 things clearly at a time, so that's a good place to start.

Another great way is to apply the Von Rastohf theory which is where you associate a picture to each word to help you remember.

For example to help you remember to ask people how they are you would use a picture of someone who is sick.

This has proved to be one of the most effective ways of learning, that coupled with writing things down rather than just reading/saying them will help you massively!

Just my 'expert' opinion :)

Normally I would agree with you, But I know the words, just not in order. All year we've been studying them and now he decides that he wants us to have them all in order. Normally i write down the newest ones first, then the ones i normally forget, then the ones i know. That usually keeps me in the A range. So with this I can sit there and fill in as they come back to me.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I don't mean to put water on the flames of intellectual pursuit, but I think you'll find it harder remembering a paragraph that is an acronym for a series of unrelated words. Memory works by making connections to things that have a pattern - in this case you have the pattern already, but turning it into a paragraph of English words (lost connection #1) that constitute an acronym (connection #2) for a series of Spanish words is three connections away from your target, which means you'll have to remember three sizable chunks of information.

My recommendation is to take up chess - spend about an hour a day studying moves and variations, openings and gambits and problems - as well as covering the well known games of grandmasters. Do this avidly for about six months and you'll have a better memory than you can imagine. It really does keep your brain alive. not that you have that much time, of course... ;)

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Normally I would agree with you, But I know the words, just not in order. All year we've been studying them and now he decides that he wants us to have them all in order. Normally i write down the newest ones first, then the ones i normally forget, then the ones i know. That usually keeps me in the A range. So with this I can sit there and fill in as they come back to me.

I'm curious (I'm studying Spanish at university) what words are they and why do you have to learn them in a specific order?

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
The "seven things" could be chunks. You could remember hundreds of things if they chunked into seven (actually +/- 2) units. (Wiki A. Miller, short term memory, information processing). So let's say you have a 7 room house. (Worked for Simonides around 100 BC Greece, who invented the visual "method of loci"). Kitchen, Dining Room, Living Room, Den, Attic, Parents Bedroom, Kids Bedroom). Draw a floor plan. You have 44 words. You could arrange 7 words within each room, maybe as a sentence in each room. Hey, you could even memorize them in...get this...Spanish :D. If you come up with the sentences yourself (rather than someone giving them to you), practice them by writing and saying them out loud over a few days (not the night before), and get a good night's sleep before the exam, you'll ace the exam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.