Help Me! Thinkin Bout Converting to Windows!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by magicjames92, Dec 26, 2007.

1. magicjames92 macrumors regular

I am seriously considering a Windows Computer right now. My situation: Want to play games like Crysis.
    want to edit in Final Cut (Express). Don't want to pay 1000$> more for a macbook pro. I'm considering: HP Pavilion dv9700t

Help me sort things out! What do I do?

2. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Before you do something hasty, are you running Leopard? If so, you could install windows and use it with BootCamp and play your favorite games that way (if that is really all you want windows for).

3. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Considering Final Cut probably won't run like you'd like on a regular MacBook, it seems like you alone are left with the decision. Either...

A. Buy the HP and play Crysis (but no FCE)
    B. Keep your current machine and use FCE (but no Crysis)
    C. Shell out the $$$ for a MacBook Pro and have both.

btw, are you currently running FCE and don't like how it runs on your MacBook, or do you just want a Final Cut capable Mac?

4. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I'm thinking about picking up a Windows desktop to use as a media center. If it fits your needs better just do it. Although, I do use a powerbook as my main computer right now and will continue to do so when I get the desktop so I haven't really given up (or plan to) on the mac.

5. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

?? If you want Final Cut and want to play games get a used or refurbed iMac with leopard and dualboot into windows. Video editing is not cheap. Make an investment and then make your computer work for you and make some money. Thats what I did and my MBP has paid for itself many times over.

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Considering Crysis runs like a dog on every piece of hardware available today and is way overrated I would seriously consider a console like the Playstation 3 or Xbox360 instead.

Even Final Cut is lackluster on a MacBook or MacBook Pro (or equivalent) for that matter, unless you get a fast scratch disk (RAID-0 or faster).

7. magicjames92 thread starter macrumors regular

I currently have FCE on my macbook and like it, and it's the main reason keepin me from a windows. If anyone knows any good deals on macbook pros, can they pont me in the right direction?

8. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

the refurb store is always a good place to keep an eye on.
    however, you have to be quick because usually the refurb macs get sold rather quickly.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Crysis on any laptop bar the very latest and greatest >$4K machines ain't happening, at least, not well. Either way, if you want that you'll need to move to Windows anyway.

So that said, obviously there's the oft-discussed (and oft-wrong) Mac/Win issues, but I thought I'd drop in my thoughts about the video editing. This may be one roadblock which may not be a big deal.

I'd consider Sony's Vegas if you're looking to move wholesale to Windows for the superior versatility of the platform for entertainment. Unless you're looking to be a pro in the field, where FCE/P skills might be more generally transferable/popular, you might find Sony's Vegas equally competent as FCE.

I have FCP and FCE (which I've ordered preloaded with all of my recent MBP's), and I use Vegas almost always. I have no pro need for video editing, as all I do is to edit myself - filmed on an HDR-FX1 - talking about various concepts I'm trying to explain or to edit the project videos, then either send them off as video files or DVD's. I just wanted the easiest for me to use - so I bought FCP, Vegas and Premiere and a couple of others I can't remember and tried using them all for a while.

I found Vegas easier to get into in a straight shoot-out between FCP running on virtually identical Pro / Dell Precision hardware. I'd hesitate to say however that either is the better than the other for all-round use. The Sony solution simply works better for me, and who knows, it might work better for you. If you have access to (decent) Windows hardware now, give the Vegas trial a go.

11. Sannekita macrumors regular

Sannekita

i don't think you can run Final Cut on windows...

12. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I would second that.

13. sk8ordie macrumors regular

sk8ordie

Right, Its apple only software.

14. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I second this. And I've tried it with a brand new top of the line laptop, and it just not work for PC gaming. If it miraculously does, it doesn't last.

15. magicjames92 thread starter macrumors regular

I already have a 360. I currently am deciding on a career path, either video editing or video game programming. Obviously video editing is best on mac, video game on windows. That's the problem.

16. heatmiser macrumors 68020

As others have said, if you're considering gaming, you should consider a desktop, because you just won't get TOTL performance from a laptop.

17. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

A large screen is more comfortable for video editing, so an iMac would be better and it would allow you to boot into Windows with Bootcamp. iMac has better hardware as well. However, if you really need portability, I guess you have to buy a laptop, but I don't know if a Windows laptop would be much better than a Macbook at about the same price.

I would not buy a MBP, either. For that price, you could almost buy a Macbook and an iMac.

18. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    APPLE 20 inch IMAC CORE-2 2.0ghz 1gb 250gb DVD+/-RW
    Item Condition: Like New (See notes below)
    Current bid: US $911.00
    End time: 11 mins 23 secs (Dec-27-07 15:43:38 PST)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/APPLE-20-inch-I...yZ140066QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've been sitting around for YEEEEAAAARRRSSS with two computers. My Windows machine was my main computer, and I had my Mac to do a number of tasks that grew more and more as the OS experienced a second Renaissance. Now, I've gotten VMWare/Windows XP/Boot Camp and a NEW iMac... I'm tossing everything else OUT.

If you want to get a PC for cheap... go get one. If you really like the Mac and you want to stick with the platform for all the productivity gains you can get with it... then don't ask yourself silly questions. eBay has clearly created "watch" features with people like you in mind. Hunt. Kill. Drag back home. Rejoice.

I just had my whole office convert from Dells to all iMacs with Windows XP BootCamp installed. The pay-off is already in progress and initial reviews are that we're just moving up and up. As a mediabox, the iMac is really tops. My first professional computer was a Quadra 840av. Apple's really come back big in the last few years. Looking at Vista, I wouldn't switch for anything.

~ CB