Help me to check this MBP-mid 2015

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kvlq, Jun 26, 2017.

1. kvlq macrumors member

I want to buy a new MBP 15 mid 2015 from ebay. Its new, in the box, unopened. But what its strange is that you verify the SN on Apple website its appear to be already activated and under warranty only until may 2018. Why? Why its activated without being opened (as the seller stated)?

Also can you tell me why Part Number looks like in the picture? It should be MLxx/xx...
    And why after 2.2/16gb/512 it appears DEU/DEU?

Hope to get responses as soon as possible, because in a few hours ill meet the seller to buy it for 1300euros. what do you think, its a good deal?

thanks a lot.

Attached Files:

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Firstly: The warranty is for 3 years from the date of purchase, so if they brought it in 2015 it'll expire in 2018. As the seller will have brought it themselves, it would have been registered at the point of purchase.

Secondly: The specs show "DEU/DEU" as it has a Deutsch (German) keyboard.

No idea on the part number, I wouldn't worry.

Just a friendly word of caution on buying used goods however. If something seems too good to be true, it is. I am a bit curious myself why someone would buy a computer only to not use it, and then sell it 2 years later. Who does that?? I strongly recommend you ask to open it up and inspect it before you hand over any money. If the seller is genuine then they shouldn't have a problem with this, if they start making excuses or are hesitant then it's up to you to use your judgement.

The only thing you can tell from that is whether it has been used and just repackaged, though there are rare cases of people buying literal boxes containing bricks. It's very rare, just be aware. Things can be easily sealed up to look new.

Unfortunately you have no real way of telling if the item is stolen or not, you could check with the police but they rarely keep accurate logs of these things. Just use your judgement on the seller and if they act suspicious, call it a red flag.

Now that's all worst case mind you and genuine sellers exist! But the fact that it's a brand new sealed 2 year old computer is a red flag to me, and I would approach that sale with extreme skepticism.

Do keep us updated though, hopefully all goes well.

3. kvlq thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for all your usefull infos, will help me a lot. I talked to him and he said that i can open the box to check it. Now, can you tell me what to check to be sure that the purchase is safe?

Also, if its stolen, what can happen? I read that Apple has no database for SNs to track them.

With the warranty, youre right , its strange that it isnt used for 2 years...but there a lot of new MBP mid 2015 on the internet.

Thank you again.

PS: I found that the part number is like that because its a custom configuration (512gb) and apple gave to these custom configs unique family ids.

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

With regards to the warranty, what have they said is the reason? Always look out for "I'm selling it for a friend". I suppose it's feasible that there could be a few, I think maybe unsold units sit in warehouses and eventually trickle down to 3rd party sellers who buy them in bulk for cheap. But I can't imagine there's many people willing to shell out €3000 on a computer and just do nothing at all with it.

There's not much you can do at the point of sale to check it's safe, often these are rushed scenarios and nobody wants to be standing around for 30mins whilst you check every nook and cranny.

If at all possible, the simplest safe thing is make sure you're meeting at the sellers home address. As it's unlikely they'd scam you when you know where they live. Normally what you'd do is turn it on and firstly check (If it still had a login) that the name corresponds with the seller in some way, and check that the serial number in 'About this Mac' is the same as the one on the box. But assuming it is brand new in box it won't have any charge and you won't want to stand there and go through setup. So again use judgement.

I'll give you worst case on what could happen, not to scare you but so you can make a better judgement call.

If it was stolen, a few things could happen. Firstly you could be charged with handling stolen goods which is usually a serious offence in any nation. Secondly if the original owner has registered it stolen, there are ways to track it though 'Find my Mac' or other means, and you would be forced to give up the computer (Loose your money). Thirdly the seller themselves can report the device stolen and claim you stole it.

If you were buying through eBay or something you at least have protection, but I'm assuming you are paying cash. Make sure you get a written receipt with the sellers address and signature on it so in any worse case scenario you have some proof that you purchased it.

Now that all sounds like overkill and it completely is. But any genuine seller will have no problem with writing a quick receipt for you or letting you inspect a device, after all you're spending €1300 and want peace of mind. It's when you ask sellers to do these things and they make excuses is when you just walk away, it's not worth the gamble.

5. kvlq thread starter macrumors member

In about 10 hours ill be in his city to check it, and the payment will be cash, yes. Ill come back here to let you know how it was.

Thank you, again.

6. jerryk macrumors 68020

Since it is "new", check the battery cycle count. It should be very low.

And while you are in about Mac check that the hardware config. memory, disk etc all matches.

7. windows4ever macrumors member

windows4ever

If you're paying cash, you'll have no buyer protection from ebay. Has to be electronic payment. Is the seller demanding cash only? That would be a red flag. Someone else mentioned it has a German keyboard. Keyboards are not easily replaceable.

8. smbu2000 macrumors member

The Part Number is that way because the original purchaser bought it custom made from Apple in May 2017 (as the 1 year warranty ends in May of 2018) and it is still eligible for the extended Applecare warranty. When you order something BTO then Apple uses that as the model number.

Since it is the base 2.2ghz/16gb/256gb model that they've upgraded from it appears that the custom upgrade has been from 256gb to 512gb of flash storage. The keyboard type might also have been customized to the Deutsch (German) one, but I'm not sure what the original was.

9. kvlq thread starter macrumors member

i arrived now at home and everything was ok so i bought it.

Whats strange is that its overheating *maybe because theres 30degrees now?*

10. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Excellent! Thanks for reporting back.

When you say "overheating", do you mean it is in-fact overheating and shutting down? Or that it's getting warm?

If it is overheating there's a few things to check. If it's just getting warm then expect this to last a few days whilst it's setting everything up, depending on what you've come from, it'll be doing stuff like encrypting drives, converting files and photos, downloading everything etc. Normally lasts a few days, same with battery stuff. Should be tickity-boo in a few days.

11. kvlq thread starter macrumors member

Only getting warm on the top of the keyboard.

The seller was as i expected, i unboxed it in front of him, configured it, check about my mac SN if matches with the one from the box, checked battery cycles (it has 2) but i read on the internet that it comes out of the factory with them.

So im very happy with the purchase, for 1300euros a mid2015 mbp its a big deal.

Thanks again for all your support guys. Now im in MB "club" and ill be back in this community asap.

12. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

If it's just the top of the keyboard it'll be residual heat from the CPU, no worries.

Glad you managed to have time to check those things. It's trivial when it all works out but do pass the advice in this thread onto others.

Enjoy your computer :)