help me to chose an ultracompact digital camera

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gothamm, Dec 15, 2007.

1. gothamm macrumors 6502a

I go to a lot of events and need a camera which i can slip in my pocket. i don't care about picture quality TOO much...as long as the camera is over 5 mp.

any recommendations for credit card sized cameras? the slimmer the better!

2. drrich2 macrumors member

After moderate online research, I chose the Canon SD1000.

No image stabilization, true. But we're not talking a telephoto camera.

Not as much wide-angle as the Canon 870 IS.

But tiny. Good solid brand name. Good reviews at Amazon.com & elsewhere, if memory serves.

Good photography sites to research including www.dpreview.com, www.dcresource.com, & www.stevesdigicams.com. There's also a place called Image Resource, but I don't recall their web page off-hand. Amazon & Cnet have user reviews that get interesting.

Richard.

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

There's a Panasonic Lumix (forget which model) compact that gets 10x optical w/a 7 or 8 mp sensor. It's about $250 @ Newegg. Main downside's the lack of a viewfinder (got to use the LCD screen instead). If you're looking for zoom in a compact package though, that's the best you'll find.

4. gothamm thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks m8. can you explain image stabilization in le mans terms?

5. fiver macrumors newbie

I have to agree with the recommendation for a Canon Powershot. I have had one for a few years now and love it and have bought a couple as gifts. Small, compact and durable. I'm sure the sd 1000 is great, but I would take a look at the Canon SD850 IS because it has image stabilization, which according to David Pogue from the nytimes means "reduces blur in low light." Take a look at his article he wrote on Dec. 6th, it's very informative, complete with a slide show comparing the various cameras and their picture quality.

Hope this helps.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/06/technology/personaltech/06pogue.html