Help me to decide wich MBP 15, specs

Bonilla

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2011
México.
1.- Apple 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, Intel Core i7 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 16, Space Gray (Mid 2018). $3,049

2.- Apple 15"
Intel Core i7 2.6GHz, 16G RAM, 512GB SSD, macOS High Sierra, Space Gray (Mid 2018). $2,499

3.- Apple MB 15"
CPU | RAM | SSD: 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 | 32GB | 512GB
GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 555X. $2,849

I dont know if Is better to get 32GB RAM with GPU555x or 16GB with 560 or Vega.

I will keep the 512GB and CPU 2.2 to save some money and get more ram or gpu.

Mbp used for work (basic stuff), use horos or osirix and charge many dicom files and watch radiology images.
Hobby (LR, Maybe capture one and FCX)family moments

I dont want to buy wrong, pls give and advice, HURRY!

Last edited:

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
These will come with Mojave installed now.

If your dicom files are massive then go for 32GB RAM on the base model. If you're mobile then do the GPU upgrade. If you're deskbound then eGPU.

mikzn

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2013
Vancouver
My vote for value is number 2, my feeling is 32 g memory is over kill when using a SSD - the SSD / virtual memory extends the memory and you probably will not notice any speed difference with the extra memory, spend that money on storage IMHO.

If you are storing a large amount of data (patient files, patient history, dicom, osirix, etc) you can buy more srtorage 1tb ? It is nice to have internal storage and not have to use external storage.

500g is a pretty decent amount of storage but even that can fill up - especially if you are also keeping "family moments" pictures, videos, music and movies.

Bonilla

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2011
México.
My vote for value is number 2, my feeling is 32 g memory is over kill when using a SSD - the SSD / virtual memory extends the memory and you probably will not notice any speed difference with the extra memory, spend that money on storage IMHO.

If you are storing a large amount of data (patient files, patient history, dicom, osirix, etc) you can buy more srtorage 1tb ? It is nice to have internal storage and not have to use external storage.

500g is a pretty decent amount of storage but even that can fill up - especially if you are also keeping "family moments" pictures, videos, music and movies.

Thanks for the answer, i usually save a lot of files dicom but when i have like 50Gb i erase everything.

The pictures of The family i usually have 2 portable drive and cloud storage. The one i have The mac are for edit.

I Will keep only scientofic papers, videos, pptx, capture, LR, FCX, a lot of Windows from safari, Brave and Firefox to decentralized my navigation on The net.

But if i am going to spend money i want to know if i Will need ram or better GPu for everything
[doublepost=1543127728][/doublepost]
These will come with Mojave installed now.

If your dicom files are massive then go for 32GB RAM on the base model. If you're mobile then do the GPU upgrade. If you're deskbound then eGPU.

What do you mean mobile?

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Thanks for the answer, i usually save a lot of files dicom but when i have like 50Gb i erase everything.

The pictures of The family i usually have 2 portable drive and cloud storage. The one i have The mac are for edit.

I Will keep only scientofic papers, videos, pptx, capture, LR, FCX, a lot of Windows from safari, Brave and Firefox to decentralized my navigation on The net.

But if i am going to spend money i want to know if i Will need ram or better GPu for everything
[doublepost=1543127728][/doublepost]

What do you mean mobile?
If you are moving about a lot, from room to room office to office.