help me to repair a scan please!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by umbilical, Mar 30, 2011.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

2. deppest macrumors member

The yellow lines are probably a result of interference between the print's and scanner's resolution. You can try to play around with the resolution settings of your scanner. Alternatively, you could try to remove the pattern with some noise reduction software. I find NeatImage quite effective.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm sure someone can do it better than this, but here's a quick fix using Photoshop noise reduction and dust and scratch removal, followed by minor colour adjustments. It has left the picture looking a bit soft though.
    As deppest has said - if you have access to the original then re-scanning is probably a better option

Attached Files:

4. Coheebuzz macrumors 6502

Some scanning software have an option to "Reduce Moire" and it can help. But am not sure you will get any better results than what Phil came up with using automatic methods.

Try this:

Those lines seem to be more prominent on the green channel and less visible on the other 2, so you can copy/paste one that is cleaner on top of the green, and then use something like Selective Color to bring the photo back close to it's original hues.

You will still end up with a noisy photo but hopefully no lines and loss of detail. Hope that made sense... i don't have PS on this comp but if you can't figure it i'll check this thread later and give this a try.

5. mlblacy, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

mlblacy macrumors 6502

You have a few issues...

Anytime you scan a printed piece of art you should make sure to select your scanner's "descreen" option, which throws the focus slightly off. Make sure you do not add any sharpening when you are scanning. The pattern is called a moire pattern, and is caused by the two screening patterns overlapping (much like the pattern you see when sheer curtains overlap).

You also are picking up some of the texture of the album paper stock itself. Bringing your midpoint down a bit might clean that up, and also you can use curves to eliminate some of. The yellowish cast.

so...best option if you have it....
    - rescan, using descreen or printed material setting (with no sharpening)
    - scan at 100% of size and maybe cheat up the resolution a bit, like 450dpi. Then when you size it, the resampling may help clean up some of the issues.
    - in Pshop, use the filter/ noise/despeckle filter. If the image has some stubborn issues, it may help to run the filter 3 times, but on each RGB channel one at a time (instead on one filter rotation on the RGB composite channel). You may need to run it more than once on one of the channels if a lot of the problems are apparent.
    - always tackle the descreening you convert the image BEFORE you convert to cmyk
    - resize/resample image for intended use. That will scatter the pixels about and clean up some of the problems. Be careful when doing a final sharpen, as you may bring back some of the issues.
    - add a little noise after you despeckle, the fake grain can help a bit
    This is not a science, but an art of judgement, and each image reacts differently.

I use Aperture and Nikon's NIK suite these days, also Alien Skin makes a product called Image Doctor that might help. Although you can get by in Pshop...

Hope this helps a bit.
    Cheers,
    Michael

[​IMG]Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

6. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The notes above regarding moire are correct. When I took design classes, we were taught to scan colored prints like your cover with the original turned about 30 degrees in relation to the lamp in the scanner. This broke up the moire pattern.

Dale

7. mlblacy macrumors 6502

good tip....

forgot that one... and it is a good one too.

8. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks all you guys, I go read all and test everything in photoshop.

yeah the problem is that I dont have original album for scan again, just the scans, so I want fixed. but yeah the scan is so poor.

9. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

It looks like this came from the web. Am I right? My searches of cover art turned up images with the same problems. The one linked below might be good enough for your purposes. The link may ask you to type one of those squiggly letter codes they use to block automated searches (bots).

AlbumArtExchange

Dale

10. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks I know ACExchange... but yeah are from the web entire set of scans mini lps japan

11. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

by the way, any real good scanner? I mean a one that not need a lot retouch later in photoshop, you know a real good one that produce real scans.

I have a canon all in one printer, and I think is really bad... I need a lot work in ps later for get good results, or I need a better sofware to scan? I use the IMAGE CAPTURE of mac... :confused:

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

$100 Epson would do fine.

But you need a single purpose photo scanner.

13. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, that all in one are ****...