Help me understand 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fyrmedic, Feb 28, 2008.

1. fyrmedic macrumors member

Can somebody explain just what 3G is and why so many people want it for there phone sorry not a big tech guy.

how much faster would a 3g phone be than my current iphone.

would it be faster than if i were at a wifi hotspot with my current Iphone.

sorry if this is a basic question for most of you....I am just trying to understand the tech.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

1) it is faster than edge, but I'm not sure how much. (although not as fast as wifi)
    2) it has nothing to do with wifi
    3) you can use data and voice at the same time
    4) it's backwards compatible with slower data networks.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

3G is the name given to several compeating technologies to offer high-speed internet access over cellular systems.

Currently the worldwide standard is GSM. GSM has two current data systems, GPRS and EDGE. EDGE is about 2x as fast at a typical 56k modem, but with newer firmware can be up to 5x faster than 56k. For most GSM systems, the 3G data network is called HDSPA/HUSPA (the D for download, the U for upload, some networks are only installing the D and not the U at present). HDSPA runs between 1.8 and 14.4 MBps (10 to 140 times faster than EDGE). HDSPA is the technology that is being speculated to be included in the next iPhone. The confusing thing is that the actuall data trasmissions use a scheme called CDMA. CDMA is also a name given to the compeating cellular netword to GSM, which is mainly used the US, Canada, and older systems around the world. Because of this, many people confuse talk about the 3G iPhone with a suppossed CDMA iPhone. CDMA's 3G system is either RTT or EV-DO, it offers the same speed as HDSPA/HUSPA.

Also, some providers use GSM and HDSPA/HUSPA, but use a different encoding scheme. So that may complicate the release of an iPhone to those markets.

TEG

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've also noticed on the AT&T...

website that 3G coverage is BLUE. It seems to have the same coverage for my area around my house and around the two campuses I attend. :cool:

5. fyrmedic thread starter macrumors member

thanks

thanks for all the quick responses....looks like 3g could be nice but will not cause me any heart ache if they release a new phone this year.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Some article I read suggested AT&T may charge more ($10?) for a 3G plan to offset all the extra traffic a 3G iPhone would put on their network.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Ironically, most carriers _want_ people to move to 3G, because it can handle more traffic.

A few users trying to surf the web over EDGE can tie up an entire frequency, causing dropped calls. Over 3G they'd be in and out.