Help me understand Apple Care

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luckytaxi, Jul 29, 2014.

1. luckytaxi macrumors newbie

Can someone clarify the following for me?

1 - Thinking of picking up a refurb 13" rMBP. Do they swap out the case and batteries prior to reselling them?

2 - I know I can purchase AppleCare with a refurb but can I purchase it any time before the one year warranty is over? I dont want to buy it just yet.

3 - So the 3 year really starts during your first year, so it's really extending it by 2 years correct?

Thanks

2. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

1. Battery yes, case not necessarily (on the iPad yes, conflicting information when it comes to the MacBooks. But if it helps: I have bought a refurb air last week and the case looks and smells like brand new, battery is at cycle count of 3 which I understand is normal also for 'band new' purchases

2. Yes, anytime, before the 12 months warranty is over

3. Yes, it is an extension of two years, so your warranty extends to 3 years from the date of purchase of the original machine, it does not matter when within the first year you buy Applecare, the end date remains the same.

3. luckytaxi, Jul 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2014

luckytaxi thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks!

Yea, depending on which article you read, you get conflicting report. I would be pissed if I get a scratched or dent case directly from Apple. Ebay sure I can understand assuming the seller mentions it.

Gotcha, wasn't sure if this policy only affects non-refurb purchases.

Torn with this. I plan on purchasing with my Discover card, which automatically adds an extra year warranty. Has anyone gone this route and had to use the warranty passed the one year manufacturer warranty? I suppose I wouldn't be going through Apple.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Refurbs are essentially new units. I've never seen a case of someone getting one that didn't look brand new.

AC can be purchased anytime in the first year, just like a new unit.

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I have used my AppleCare warranty after the first year two different times.

On my 2010 MacBook, the case was cracking and breaking. It got so bad that the part of the case around the magsafe connector was completely broken away - simply fatigue of the plastic case. Eventually the magsafe connector failed (tech said it had shorted out due to the lack of the protective case. Under the AppleCare warranty, Apple replace the entire upper/lower case on my MacBook - two years after I got it.

I have a 2012 rMBP. The rMBP laptops had a known issue (some versions) of severe ghosting and image retention on the screens. Mine did not exhibit that behavior - until about 14-15 months into its life cycle. I called up, Apple, did the basic problem determination/testing and they suggested that I go to the Genius bar for a repair. So 15 months into its life, my rMBP got a new screen. All repairs were covered by the AppleCare warranty.

In addition to the extended coverage (years 2 & 3), it extends the phone support from 90 days to 3 years.