Help me Understand Apple Care

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by puma1552, May 14, 2009.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I bought it with my UMBP, my first Mac, which I ordered online. I never received a box like what the website shows, so after awhile I called them and they said since I bought it at the same time as the Mac, it was autoenrolled and attached to the serial number, so I wouldn't be getting a box and not to worry.

I thought OK, cool.

I then bought a Macbook Air three months later, and also got Apple Care, though I bought this one in Osaka's Shinsaibashi store in person. I did not receive any CDs at the time of purchase.

Lo and Behold, a couple months later, Apple Care CDs showed up for my MBP. Not sure if I am supposed to do anything with these given the autoenrollment.

In December I bought a 24 inch ACD in person in Osaka. I decided after seeing the colorshift that maybe Apple Care would be a good idea, so I ordered it about a month ago from the website, but have yet to see it.

What's the deal? When and if I get these CDs, do I need to actually do something with them?? I believe the MBA ones are in Japanese, though I don't recall offhand.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

AppleCare is just an extended warranty for your computers. Apple records your computers' serial numbers, so you will be covered in case you or the computers' future owners (if you sell it within 3 years) have any problems.

The disks you received contain complementary utilities. Whether you use them or not doesn't affect your eligibility for the benefits of AppleCare.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

The CDs have a number of things on them. One, the most important thing, is a small application that you put all your information into and send it to Apple - this is your AppleCare enrolment form. It gives you the option of being emailed or physically sent a certificate stating you are covered by AppleCare. There's also a nifty little program called TechTool Deluxe included, that is like a much, much, much better version of the Apple Hardware Test; if you think there's anything wrong with your computer you give it a run and it'll give you a list of everything that is and isn't working as it should be.

If you're worried about whether or not you actually are covered by AppleCare, then go to this page at the Apple website:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Type in your serial number. If you're covered then the date your warranty expires should be somewhere around 3 years after the date you purchased the computer.

4. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Ahhh... Finally! I've been wondering about this for so long! Thank you!!! :D

Exact time? 2 years?

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It extends the initial 1 year warranty by 2 years, so you have 3 years total of phone support and hardware coverage.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Just to clarify: that's 3 years from the original date of purchase. The expiry of your AppleCare extended coverage will be the same whether you buy it with the computer, after a month of ownership, or two days before the normal coverage expires. You must buy it within a year of purchase, and it cannot be applied twice to the same device for 5 years of coverage.

7. rekhyt macrumors 65816

My AppleCare is running out soon-Can I buy another one to add on to it? (Nearing 3rd year of use.)

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

No, you can only get support up to 3 years in total per device.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you order it together with product from Apple, then it's auto enrolled.

If you order it at another time, then you'll get a box with a code you use to add coverage to product, by enterting the code and product serial number on a page.

Shouldn't take a month. Don't you have tracking?