Help me understand family sharing

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by smokey982, Aug 16, 2015.

1. smokey982 macrumors newbie

Here's the current set up. My wife, daughter, and myself all have iPhones. We each have an iPad and we all share an iMac as a family. Each one of us has our own Apple ID and password. But all devices have been set up and usually updated on the iMac that we've had for years using my iTunes account. Which means they must use my iTunes password when making purchases. This system seems to work fine and I have no issues with any of that. The only negative (and it's really not that big of a deal), is that when someone creates an iTunes playlist it adds it to my iTunes library when I back up that device to the computer. Or when my daughter subscribes to a specific iTunes radio station, it shows up in my iTunes radio.
    But I've been thinking about setting up family sharing. What advantages would that give me over what I'm doing now? Will that change anything in my current set up? One of the main reasons I've considered family sharing is because I've been thinking about subscribing to Apple Music and I assume we would need family sharing in order to keep our music separate from one another? Or do I not fully understand how family sharing works?

2. deviant macrumors 65816

basically if you set up family sharing everybody uses their own apple id and app store apple id, but only YOU pay for everything people in your family buy (well, it's the same now, as everybody uses your apple id to purchase) you have a shared calendar and to-do list, family location and family photo album (which is no different than a simple photo stream album shared with 3 people). and yes, if you want apple music with family sharing for 15 bucks (which is very convenient for 3 people) you will each have your own separate apple music with your radios, playlists etc. you will have to drop the iMac, though. we have it (only 2 people) and we love it. you should try it, too.

3. smokey982 thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean I would have to drop the iMac?
    I don't know if it matters. But I have the iMac set up with each of our Apple ID logins, which keeps all of our things (email, Safari favorites, etc) separate. I don't think my wife or daughter have ever used ITunes under their individual logins. When I set up each phone or iPad I've always used my iTunes under my iMac login. So if I login on my Mac under my Apple ID wouldn't I see my playlist and radio stations?

4. deviant macrumors 65816

Oh, you meant separate users on iMac .. ok, so i suppose you all have iCloud, so obviously everybody sees only THEIR content on their iMac users? then it's ok. I thought you were using 1 single user on iMac to manage all of your devices in iTunes.

5. smokey982 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, that's good news. I'm currently in the 3 month trial period and I'm using the trial as a single user (because I haven't set up family share yet). When I try to save a song for offline play I get this message. I assume it's because my daughter has already saved music for offline play and it won't let me do it with more than 1 device? Or is there another reason? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439767412.258484.jpg

6. deviant macrumors 65816

it's probably that..

7. smokey982 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I think it may be referring to some old devices that I had at one time but they still show tied to my Apple ID. My wife and I both had iPhone 4's and iPhone 5's at one time. If you add those to our current phones and iPads it probably puts us over the device limit. I just don't know how to get rid of those old devices.

8. deviant macrumors 65816

try on the iCloud website in the settings

9. vexorg macrumors 6502a

You can have multiple accounts on one iTunes (PC or mac). We have the same as the OP, every can use all apps from that iTunes regardless who bought it. We've got 4 iTunes accounts with apps and music all bought by different people. It has to be like that as the kids have their own money on their account and don't want to share it with anyone else.

The only drawback is that you need each account to log in if the apps are updating (which they seem to do on a daily occurrence)

We don't use iCloud for the reason that we can't be sure how that would be shared between the accounts and devices if all controlled from one iTunes.

For playlists or whatever, you select what should be sync'd on iTunes per device. So, my daughter has an iPhone, iPad and iPod, all with different playlists, apps, music and videos sync'd.

10. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

So with family sharing you still have your own backups,music,apps etc only it's all paid for by one card regardless of previous purchases? And you can keep historical purchases since you still use your own account?

My wife and I are considering Apple music family plan and just seeing what will change. The way I see it only the payment side of things so she will see when I buy myself apps out of our joint acc rather than my own.. She will have to get over that and understand its up to me lol