Help me understand lack of online ordering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PAH Mac, Jun 10, 2008.

1. PAH Mac macrumors member

I gather in the US they want to make sure if you buy an iPhone 3G that you also have an AT&T contract to go along with it. If this is the case, I guess I can see no online ordering from Apple but there shouldn't be any problem with AT&T selling online. You log into your account, select upgrade your phone and choose and pay for 3G iphone. I gather AT&T is probably scrambling right now to get themselves together following yesterday's announcement but doesn't it seem crazy that there is no place to pre-order the new iphone online? I am shocked that they would miss out on the chance to lock in customers online now before the launch. What am I missing here?

2. TexasAg macrumors member

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Do you really need to place your order thirty-one days before launch?

4. diabolic macrumors 68000

There will be people lined up to buy on launch day. They don't need to lock in customers now.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Verizon, for one example, is the same way.

Many people wait for new phones to appear on the website, the day of their launch. They don't show up beforehand, except for business customers, and in rare mistakes...

The mistakes are the fun part. For instance, when the HTC Touch XV6900 hit in April, some people got it the night beforehand for $50. Others paid $300 later. Hit and miss, and no whining.

6. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Lines at stores = millions in FREE publicity/advertising.

People pre-ordering online means less people in lines at stores, making it less of a big deal potentially meaning less free publicity and advertising.

7. PAH Mac thread starter macrumors member

I didn't realize this was the way it usually worked with other new phones. I guess I'm used to the apple model where once they announce a product you can usually pre-order. It does make sense that they would want to create lines in stores for publicity. I certainly don't need to pre-order a month ahead of time but I don't live near an apple or At&t store so it would be nice to be able to put in an order and forget about it until it shows up at my doorstep in July. Ah well, nothing to do but wait.

8. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

They want you to sit in front of them and watch you activate it so you dont unlock it, if you look closely at the salesmen's eyes, you might even see dollar signs.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If anybody who unlocked/jailbroke their first-gen phone complains one bit about this, they should shove their phone right up their #%@*!

That's the exact reason for doing this. Come up with a good system and some buttwads have to ruin the party. Thanks for ruining a simple phone activation, unlockers!

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

If Apple hadent charged a arm and leg for it and made it exclusive to one network there would be no need to unlock! :p

11. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

Ditto. I think that Steve is pondering this quite a bit now.