Help me understand some HD TV stuff, please!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JasonDawg18, May 8, 2013.

1. JasonDawg18 macrumors regular

JasonDawg18

Hi there,

I'm in the market for a new LED TV. I'm absolutely confused.

I'd like to get a 240hz Samsung LED TV. I'm a huge sports fan, and would like the high refresh rate. I love Samsung's Smart TV line. The TVs are beautiful and the pictures are amazing.

That said, I have Verizon Fios TV. From what I've read online, the Fios box only ouputs at 60hz.

Also, I currently run all of my devices (Fios, Apple TV, Blu-Ray, etc) through a receiver that connects via HDMI to my TV.

My main question is this - does it matter what the refresh rate of my TV is if the devices that are outputting to the TV are at a much lower refresh rate?

Please help me understand!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

When HD signals fly through the air 1080i is the standard. In flying through air the full 1080p signal would fall apart. When a TV say more GHz is better they really talking about refresh rate for fast movement like sports.

You really get the benefit with RHz with Blu-Ray movies and such.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

When I bought my last TV, I compared 60 Hz to 120 Hz and couldn't see a difference. Typical refresh rates for video are 30 Hz and for film 24 Hz, so I'm not convinced more is necessarily better.

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The signals coming from your provider are going to be compressed anyways, you only see the full picture from a blu-ray. I don't think the refresh rate is as much a problem as the compression downgrading the signal.