iPhone Help me understand the error "The iPhone is synced with another iTunes library".

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by vols, Jan 30, 2014.

1. vols macrumors regular

My iPhone was working fine without complications. I ripped a CD and go to add my songs...but it wouldn't let me. Go to "Summary" under my iPhone menu in iTunes and I see "Manually manage music and videos" is unchecked. I've had this checked previously because I did not have any problems adding (non-iTunes purchased) music. Put the checkmark back in and Apply my settings...and boom. "Erase and sync"...

So now, I'm backing up my phone just so I can make a little CHECK in iTunes. This is beyond frustrating. What can I do in the future so this will not happen again? Thanks in advance.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That message usually means you synced your phone with another computer that had the songs you have on your iPhone now. Is this not the case?

3. vols thread starter macrumors regular

Not to my knowledge. I've only used one laptop since erasing to factory for when jailbreak came available. Not sure how this happened.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

5. vols thread starter macrumors regular

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

"Erase and sync" means just that; it'll erase the current MUSIC on the phone and sync the music in your library with it.

It won't touch your apps, app data, configuration, or any of that jazz. Its just warning you that if you manually dragged any music to the phone that is not in YOUR iTunes library, that this music will be removed from the phone.

Also, backing up your phone doesn't back up the music, so you're not accomplishing anything by doing an additional backup before syncing. If you need to get "Manually managed music" off your phone, there are various utilities that'll help you do this, such as Senuti.