Help Me Understand the Fusion Drive for Lightroom

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ohsnaphappy, Jan 15, 2013.

1. ohsnaphappy macrumors regular

ohsnaphappy

I shoot around 40 weddings a year, each wedding is around 30GB.

I would like your opinion on my current workflow plan because I'm struggling with the concept of sequential vs random read/write times.

My plan is to keep one wedding on my Fusion Drive in Lightroom, at 30GB, I assume the whole experience will be blazing fast.

But my question is this : should I keep my other weddings on a LaCie Little Big Disk? Or on the 5400RPM HDD inside the iMac? The LaCie offers read/write times around 200MB/S via Thunderbolt. But apparently that's only true for sequential transfers. Random access is more like 1.5MB/S. Yikes.

While I'm editing my main wedding on the Fusion Drive, there are instances where I need to access the other weddings momentarily, I just don't know if I would have fast access to these other weddings with the LaCie, can you guys help me understand? Thanks so much!

2. CarloUK macrumors member

CarloUK

A remote firewire drive will be more than adequate for your archive work

3. Kadath macrumors regular

Keep your library database on the fusion disk, but keep the files themselves on an external drive. I am personally using the Gdrive 8TB thunderbolt G-Raid for this with my images. Highly recommended.

4. H&J Studios macrumors newbie

Create a new catalog for each wedding shot. Render times will be a lot faster. I have everything on an usb3 external drive.