Help me understand the Office 2011 EULA

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bunnspecial, Apr 27, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

May 3, 2014
    As best as I can tell, I have the "academic" edition of Office 2011. My install media states in bold letters around the perimeter "LICENSED FOR USE ONLY BY STUDENTS AND FACULTY." I'm currently a full-time student and will soon be faculty, so I'm clear on that front.

What I'm wondering about is the number of possible installs.

I currently have three computers onto which I would like to install the software(it's currently installed on one). All are my personal computers, and I would only be using one computer/copy of the software at a time.

At least for the "Student" edition, the EULA explicitly states that installs on up to three devices are permitted, but it can only be used on one at a time.

For the Academic edition, I can't find any reference to the number of permitted installs-just that it can only be used on one device at a time.

Does anyone have any insight on this? I would think it would be reasonable, for example, for a faculty member to have one copy on their home computer, one copy on their work computer, and one on their laptop-exactly the situation I'm looking at, and of course none would be used at the same time. So, I'd like to, again, install on a couple of computers but don't want to violate the EULA.

For reference, here is the Microsoft page on the subject
  2. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

Dec 20, 2013
    Austin (supposedly in Texas)
    if it let's you install on three different computers then you are fine.