Help me understand this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by audiokeeffe, Jan 7, 2012.

1. audiokeeffe macrumors member

I don't really know where to post something like this, but I'm hoping somebody can help me.

I want to download episodes of a tv series from a website. It says 'download this episode', but when i click on it, rather than getting the episode to download, it starts downloading "graboid video mac". If I download and install graboid video, will the link automatically change to the episode link, or will it still download the graboid video mac again? I'm so confused.

2. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

That sounds pretty fishy to me. What website are you using? If it makes you install software in order to download a video file, I'd be pretty hesitant to install it. Besides, think about how much watching TV shows costs on places like iTunes or Amazon Video or Netflix. There is always a payment required because the shows aren't free. At the very least, there are a lot of ads to pay for them. Think before you click. :)

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

+1

Any site that requires you to download something to play a video is suspect.

4. audiokeeffe thread starter macrumors member

tvtubex.com I've read it's a reliable site though? That's why I'm confused about the download link.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

6. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Do you mean you're downloading graboid video from their website (garboid.com) or from a third party?

Garboid is a paid subscribtion service. If you are trying to down load paid content for free via a third party i'd be careful of malware. (plus it is against the forum rules here to assist in piracy)

7. audiokeeffe thread starter macrumors member

I wasn't asking for assistance in piracy...I was asking for opinions on how the download link worked. But thanks..

8. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

sorry. im a pirate. but i support bands i like, so i guess im only half pirate.

9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Somebody is paying that site to link to their download. It's that simple. I'm simply amazed that even in 2012 people still fall for that crap and actually click through.

10. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Netflix, and basically any website that uses flash content asks you to download something...

11. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

True, but you should still be cautious. Besides, with Netflix you are downloading Silverlight, a publicly known plugin from Microsoft - a reputable software maker. Same with the Flash plugin from Adobe.

12. Tonsko macrumors 6502

Tonsko

Are my eyes deceiving me?

BANBANBAN!

...only joking :)

13. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

if you're going to steal media/software, why make it all complicated doing something like this? it's not hard to be a pirate...

that said, stop being a cheap d-bag, and just buy the episode for $1 or whatever it is.

14. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

i think you missed the point on how it was redirecting him in a spam manor to buy it.