Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
This morning I turned on my iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen and the VPN symbol was on at top left of screen. I checked in settings and VPN had been selected but I had not done that. Did some research online and found a bunch of info on VPN but not sure I understand its purpose. Does the iPad have a built in VPN app? Why would it just come on if I didn’t select? NOTE: My iPhone 7 Plus had the same thing happen today. What does VPN do? Do I need to pay for this service?
I have “Lookout Security” app installed. I did receive an update yesterday evening to the app so I checked their website to see if that caused my VPN to turn on. Nothing there. I’m not having any performance issues and I know I can just turn it off in settings but from what I’ve read it seems I may want to use it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
The VPN name/configuration should be right there in Settings > VPN

Does anyone else use the device? While not difficult, adding a VPN configuration would not happen on its own, or be there by default.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
VPN blocks ads on silly websites that are on the safari app.
But
i don't understand why i need to turn off the iPad's VPN app to watch our cable company app tv.
and
does VPN block duck duck go web searches?
i aslo don't understand abbreviations, kinda find them annoying.
what if Caesar said: "FRC, LMYE!"

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
@Expobill The DuckDuckGo search issue you’re having is an old bug in Safari that Apple has yet to fix.
thanks! duck duck go does not go even when i try searching ducks, more ducks and gooses
so i use Ecosia but half the time forget and use duck duck go with blank results
then i toss the iPad into that vat of enriched plutonium and use the macbook air.

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
It looks like "Lookout Security" added VPN to their premium beta plan. I am a tester for it. When I looked at VPN in settings, it showed Lookout as a connection. I've contacted them to verify. It's part of their "Safe Browsing" option.

Reactions: SigEp265

Fatyank

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Chandler, Arizona
ummm..... did this question get answered?
Not sure if you mean the "duck-duck" question or VPN! I was able to find out how VPN was turned on. See my previous post. As for what VPN does, I have a very technically minded friend who explained it to me. In much more detail than I needed but it makes sense now.
VPN comes on when Lookout Security has Safe Browsing turned on.The only time I turn "Safe Browsing" off is when I use my Ravpower Hub. If i have Safe Browsing on, my iPad and hub will not connect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.