Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Preface: I bought this computer second hand, it had apple care, it was in immaculate condition and still is.

I recently took it in and they explained they would need to do some repairs. When filling out the invoice, the genius was stumped as to why I wasn't getting a $0 invoice under applecare. He made a call to AppleCare and they explained that the AppleCare was purchased through the New York City school district. Because of this, I would have to pay $100 for labor but parts would be covered. I said ok and it was sent off to be repaired.

On to today,

I went in to pick it up. Everything was working fine but they engraved "Property of New York City School District" on the case!!!!! This was not there when I dropped it off. I asked the apple employee about it and he said he had never heard of that. I asked if they even do macbook engraving and he said only in special circumstances.

What am I to make of this? I want to take it back but now I'm paranoid that maybe it's stolen or something.

I see 2 possibilities.:

1. It's stolen? Is this Apple's way of shaming me? But then if it is stolen, wouldn't they have denied the repair in the first place?

2. At some point the original "engraved" macbook screen was replaced with a regular screen and when replacing the screen under my claim, they simply went off what was in their computer. But if this is the case, wouldn't they have noticed that the original screen was replaced and denied my AppleCare claim?

Help me make some sense of this!!!

15duzxf.jpg

5-21-14 UPDATE

Someone from Apple called me today explaining why this happened. The machine is in fact originally from a NY school district and in it's original configuration had the engraving on it. Hence why when it was sent in for repair, all the tech did was restore it to it's factory condition. She also explained that a screen repair was never listed in their system and was most likely done by an unauthorized repair person.

She was still cool enough to allow me the opportunity to have it swapped out for a non engraved screen.

I appreciate Apple and their team working with me in this instance. They have definitely gone above and beyond in this situation. They could have easily said "no" to a display swap and I would have understood and still held a high opinion of Apple.

However, since they are still allowing me to swap it, my opinion of Apple is even higher than it was before.

THANKS FOR BEING AWESOME!

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Did you refuse the repair and request them to fix it again without the engraving?

Anyways it is possible it was stolen.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
So who was the original owner...the school system or the person who sold it to you? Did the person who sold it have legal title to it?

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Did you refuse the repair and request them to fix it again without the engraving?

Anyways it is possible it was stolen.

I didn't refuse the repair because everything was working, they didn't even charge me the $100. I did however ask that he make a note of the engraving. He told me he would set up a repair order and they would swap it out at my convenience. This was just some random employee though so I'm wondering if they'd even actually do it.

----------

So who was the original owner...the school system or the person who sold it to you? Did the person who sold it have legal title to it?

The original owner? IDK, it could be the actual school system, or it could be someone that attended or worked for the school that bought it through the district at a discounted price.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
So organizations normally buy extended warranties/service agreements etc for the period they will be operating it, then sell it off. So it is odd that this one was disposed of prior as the AC was still in force.

Are you sure it is your original machine within the case? Thinking the somewhat unusual terms may cover there is some different service arrangement in place (like it is swapped out with a school district spare unit and your original repaired later/elsewhere???

What was the issue you took it in for? What were the issues they said needing repair?

Unlikely they would return it to you if it was logged with them as stolen, that would be hard to explain to a sizeable client such as a school district.

The engraving is on the screen/lid cover yes? My guess is that they have fitted it with a recycled one from another school district machine (that would explain the distinct parts/labour terms of the AC it is under). From your description the machine has been away several days so time for that to happen.

Certainly the AC doesn't seem written that it is designed to be passed on when outside school district ownership.

matty1551

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Are you sure it is your original machine within the case? Thinking the somewhat unusual terms may cover there is some different service arrangement in place (like it is swapped out with a school district spare unit and your original repaired later/elsewhere???

What was the issue you took it in for? What were the issues they said needing repair?

Unlikely they would return it to you if it was logged with them as stolen, that would be hard to explain to a sizeable client such as a school district.

Certainly the AC doesn't seem written that it is designed to be passed on when outside school district ownership.

I dpn't know for a fact that it is the original within the case, however if any work had been done prior, apple must have done it. Otherwise they would have denied my AC if they saw that the internal and outside serials did not match and it was not in their records.

I had a problem with the keyboard not responding. They ended up swapping out a ton of crap. Logic board, screen, battery, keyboard.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I dpn't know for a fact that it is the original within the case, however if any work had been done prior, apple must have done it. Otherwise they would have denied my AC if they saw that the internal and outside serials did not match and it was not in their records.

I had a problem with the keyboard not responding. They ended up swapping out a ton of crap. Logic board, screen, battery, keyboard.

There you go, likely they have swapped the screen with one salvaged/recycled from another school district machine complete with the lid outer....and the engraving.

Still doesn't explain why that AC is applying to a machine that has been legitimately sold on.

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Honestly, I don't know what to make of this, but thanks for the update. I'm glad it all worked out for you!

Reactions: MBP_187
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.