Help me understand why Disk Utility "repair permissions" doesn't repair all 1st time.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GhostMac24, Jan 12, 2012.

1. GhostMac24 macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Hopefully the title makes sense. I ran Disk Utility "repair permissions" and it repairs what I thought would be everything it was supposed to do. However if I run it again, there is still more permissions it repairs.

So my question is why would it still be repairing permissions with each successive launch of Disk Utility. Did it forget some the first, second, etc, time it was run? :)

Thanks for and advice or explanations!

2. GhostMac24 thread starter macrumors 6502

GhostMac24

Thanks for that list. However, I'm trying to understand why there would be repairs to still do on a successive repair attempt after just completing one.

3. simsaladimbamba

Are the ones you see in Disk Utility listed in that list I linked you to?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the list that simsaladimbamba linked to. If the errors you see are on the list, don't worry about them. Also, why are you repairing permissions in the first place?

Some people repair, or recommend repairing permissions for situations where it isn't appropriate. Repairing permissions only addresses very specific issues. It is not a "cure all" or a general performance enhancer, and doesn't need to be done on a regular basis. It also doesn't address permissions problems with your files or 3rd party apps.

Five Mac maintenance myths
    There are times when repairing permissions is appropriate. To do so, here are the instructions: