Help me understand wifi

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bp1000, Sep 30, 2014.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I'm trying to improve my wifi at home. I have 80Mbps fibre broadband which may double by next year.

I have 3 floors to cover and A LOT of 2.4ghz competition so 5ghz is my only option if i wish to avoid packet loss and ping spikes. (I've tried everything).

I have an open stairwell across the three floors but sideways i have block wall divided rooms so 5ghz easily diminishes from access points like the airport express.

I have seen the Asus AC68U which is (i think) 1900Mbps AC and apparently has incredibly fast 5ghz speeds.

However, i don't understand enough about wifi. I understand that if i connect an old G device on 2.4ghz everything drops down to 54Mbps. Obviously if i'm going to pay a premium for this 1900Mbps router i want to be sure i can use all of its speed, i understand i would have to be sitting next to it for that to happen.

I need to connect

2013 mbp
    2013 imac
    2011 mba
    iphone 6+
    iphone 5s
    iphone 4s
    iphone 4
    iPod touch (4th gen maybe)
    ipad air
    ipad retina
    ipad 2
    Canon AirPrint
    Samsung smart tv + blueray
    Apple TV 2nd gen.
    Roku
    Sony Blueray

I have no idea which of these can utilise the full speed the router can achieve.

I also don't know if i connect any of them to the 5ghz band whether they will retard the performance of devices capable of doing full speed much like the G and N scenario. E.g. i'm guessing the mbp and iMac can do full AC1900Mbps but if i connected the older mba to 5ghz would it prevent the iMac and Mbp from running at full speed.

I just want to understand what devices can utilise this extra speed i will be paying for, if it is worth it and if any older 5ghz devices will cause the newer ones to run slower.

Thanks

2. Liberty. macrumors 6502

The ASUS one is a Dual Band Gigabit Router, so whatever happens on your 2,4 Ghz network should affect the 5Ghz one at all.

3. bp1000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Does that mean to say if i connect all capable 5ghz devices the router will work out which ones can run at AC speeds and also allow 5ghz -n only devices to run separately and not affect the speed of the AC capable devices?

Can apple products support a theoretical max of 1300Mbps?

4. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If you have a dual band router you should be able to set it up with 2 different SSIDs for 2.4ghz and 5ghz so they basically run independent of each other.

5. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Personally, I'd recommend getting an access point or range extender for each floor of your property.

6. illusionx macrumors 6502

How big are your floors? I've seen mansions that require more than 2-3 APs and people actually go with enterprise products instead. Such as meru networks and Aruba networks access points. But they run you down at least a couple thousand dollars...