Help me upgrade my Mac Pro GPU please.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Morisato, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Morisato macrumors member

So I finally got a capture card (Black Magic Intensity Pro). It works great with FCP but it doesn't work at all for Color. I did some searching and realized that Color 1.5 does not display external video with the GPU that I have (nVidia GeForce 7300 GT) so now I need to upgrade my GPU as well. The problem is that I don't know what my options are and which one I should get that will allow me to work with Color. My MP model is the 2.1, 3.0 ghz, 8-core Xeon. I read that the ATI Radeon X1900XT will work with color but I'm unsure of whether or not my model of MP is compatible with that GPU or if there are other, better, GPUs that are more cost efficient. I don't want to find out that for $50 more I could have gotten a more up to date GPU that works 5x better. So can you help me pick out a GPU?

2. Morisato thread starter macrumors member

Okay, so I looked around and it seems that the ATI Radeon HD 4870 is the best card to get at the moment for my Mac Pro model. Additional searching shows that I can actually get a PC version and flash it to work with my Mac Pro. I noticed that on ebay, they sell 1GB models where the Mac version only goes up to 512. Does the 1GB model actually work? Is there an easy tutorial for flashing the PC model to work with Macs? I don't really want to spend an extra $100 if that's money I can be saving.

3. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Enjoy

Also use Mroogle for some of your searching needs - indexed by google!

4. Morisato thread starter macrumors member

Will this 4890 work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150438

I think it will since it's on the Roms Table as EFIROM #13 but I'm new to this flashing thing having only heard about it yesterday so I just want to make sure. A simple yes/no will suffice.

Oh, also, I'm interested in splitting my molex cable for power since all I need is an easy to find splitter as per this link below:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=418279

How is the packaging of the Mac Pro after getting power this way? I remember when I used to build PCs there would be wires EVERYWHERE and in the Mac Pro, everything is nice and neat. Is there an easy way to manage/tuck the cables or will they just be hanging around?

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

If its on the table, which it seems to be, then it should work, unless it happens to be some special revision like the other XFX models (which I personally doubt). If you'll notice, iDigitalRiver was the guy that has the card, you might want to contact him about it.

Can't say for sure just yet, I don't have my MacPro just yet. However, there would be cables hanging about with any card that needed power anyways. You should be able to make the innards look nice if you have the time, its one power cord as opposed to many.