Help me upgrade my Ram

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ratatapa, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Ratatapa macrumors 6502a

Ok to start here is my mac

Imac 21.5 inches Mid 2010

The mac is starting to run slow

Here is the specs

Processor speed: - 3.06 GHz
    Processor Type: - Intel Core i3
    Number of Cores: - -
    Bus Speed: - -
    Cache: - 4 MB L3 Cache
    64-bit Support: - Yes

Installed RAM: - 4 GB (2x2GB)
    Max. Amount: - 16 GB
    Amount of Slots: - 4
    RAM Speed: - 1333 MHz
    RAM Type: - PC3-10600, DDR3

Running 10.6.7

I would like to upgrade my Ram to 8 gig at least

So first question

Is the Imac 2010 easy to add RAM in it? ( I have experience in PC hardware but not macs)

2) Can I buy regulard 1333mhz Ram or Do I need special Imac ram?

3) If I do need special Ram where can I buy it? (on newegg.ca if i Look in mac ram i cannot find 1333MHZ for DDR3) Thanks

P.S I'm in canada (for shipping info)

Thanks alot

2. Badger^2, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011

Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Define "run slow"?

Id be will to bet $20 that more ram aint gonna help.

3. Ratatapa thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm working on that Imac so i have about 2 Windows 64 bits running 24h7

And doing some Video Editing so my ram is always used

4. Spike88, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Hi Ratatapa.

> 1) Is the Imac 2010 easy to add RAM in it? ( I have experience in PC hardware but not macs).

To add RAM, surf: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqYLu_KJows

Note: 3 year older iMac in the video but the RAM install process and verification steps are the the same...

-------

2) Can I buy regular 1333mhz Ram or do I need special Imac ram?

To buy RAM, simply visit your local BestBuy, Future Shop or Canada Computers store. Provide them your iMac mid 2010 details and they will sell you the correct RAM. I'd go for 2x2GB (assume factory default at 2x2 Gigs). For more details, surf: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/iMac/2010/DDR3_21.5_27

--------

3) If I do need special Ram where can I buy it? (on newegg.ca if i Look in mac ram i cannot find 1333MHZ for DDR3) Thanks

Yes. You need special RAM. Ram for iMac machine. When a sales rep reaches over their shelf for a RAM pack, ensure they cross-reference in their iMac chart first. Ensure they double check their charts before handing over the RAM package. Sometimes, its a long way drive back to the same store (for exchange). Just say you are new, have a long drive back home and ask them to show you the stock codes in their cross-reference books (or computer screen). Ask politely and they will show you - before buying...

For more details, surf:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid_2010_mem_h/
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/1333DDR3S04S/

Hope this helps...

5. Ratatapa thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Spike88, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Before upgrading RAM from 4 to 8, I do agree with the others. re: Double check that "more ram" is really needed before buying. To do this, I was told to load many applications (like a typical day). While loaded apps in the background, use Applications - Utilities - Activity Monitor - Free Memory and look for Page Ins / Page Outs values. Smaller number of "page" movement counts, the better. Also look for FREE Memory amount as well. I remember reading one person recommending that a "healthy" loaded iMac should always have 500+ MB of "free" RAM. Many say there's university level courses to determine if a computer needs more RAM. And I agree. It does take lots of knowledge to determine if disk IO congestion, CPU congestion or lack of memory is the "sluggish" problem. But for checking RAM sizing, I use the 500+ MB of FREE memory as a simple check as well. As you can tell, I'm "on the edge" of buying more RAM for my 2010 iMac 21.5" as well.

If your iMac has lots of remaining memory and Page In/Page Out counts are low, then perhaps a faster CPU is needed? Perhaps selling your i3 and getting a much faster i5 with internal SSD for your video editing program and DATA files would be better?

Hope this helps as well...

7. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

i've always bought RAM from OWC at macsales.com.

8. Ratatapa, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011

Ratatapa thread starter macrumors 6502a

This was the first time i upgraded a MAC so i had no idea it had the same ram type as laptops.

Went to staples and bough 2x2 gig of PC3-10600 and now my Imac is running at 8gig instead of 4

Thanks all

Now instead of asking a question i'll find a video on how to change my HDD on the Imac hehe

Thanks all

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

If you're running 2 Windows VMs 24x7 then more RAM will definitely help you out. In fact, I'd recommend going to 12GB rather than 8GB (the cost of 2x4GB DIMMS isn't that high): You could then allocate 3-4GB to each of your VMs and still have loads of memory left for the mac. You are effectively running 3 Machines and you need to view the memory requirements in that context