HELP ME (want to buy the apple TV)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pr0230, Sep 23, 2015.

1. pr0230 Suspended

I really want to buy the NEW apple TV... Great processor, 2 GIG Ram (Great), 64 gb storage ... But what to use it for...

Accessing Services (HULU, NETFLIX).... I subscribe to amazon prime, which I believe is NOT available on the Apple TV... I don't use netflix, hulu R HBO (most of which is on prime)... So the Services this is a non event...

I would Love to hook up a BLU ray player to the usb port but I understand its for service only, BOO HOO...

I have a 3TB drive that I would also like to hook up , but again not possible..

My TV is a new VIZIO, with amazon , youtube , etc, apps built in all of which work great...

I understand PLEX and VLC is coming... Does that help me?
    I don't have much stored in iTunes R apple cloud...
    WHAT AM I MISSING???

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You are missing that there's an app store, so Amazon can create their own app. Also, why do you really want to buy it if you don't know what to use it for? o_O

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Plex can be used to access your 3TB drive over a network.
    Bluray, nope.
    AppStore, Amazon should be able to deploy their iphone/ipad app to the AppleTV with little effort. Either way, you can Airplay Amazon to it.

4. bluespark macrumors 65816

As for Amazon Prime, we don't yet know whether it will be available because Apple hasn't yet opened its tvOS app store. Amazon can make an app like everyone else if they choose to do so. My guess is that they will, but if they are your main service, you probably shouldn't buy the AppleTV until you see if they do.

Also, if you are heavily wedded to Prime, why not consider Amazon's Fire TV? If you are considering both and have questions about the differences, there are threads on that topic.

As for the rest of your post, you talk about wanting to plug in things but you don't say why you would want to do that. A better approach, in my view, is to read about what the AppleTV does and then decide if those things are of interest to you. If, for example, you use that hard drive to store movies that you want to watch on your Vizio, you would look for a feature that lets you do that (e.g., Home Sharing if you use iTunes, Plex if not, etc.). There will be many.

5. CaptTCS macrumors regular

CaptTCS

As far as Amazon, they may very well be developing an app for the new ATV. However... Prime is a direct competition to iTunes, so Apple may not let it through.

As for streaming from your HDD.. I wanted to do the same with my current Apple TV (3rd gen), so I bought a Mac Mini which I use as my media server, and have no problems using Homesharing to stream my digital movie collection. The Mini and HDD are in my entertainment cabinet & I use my TV as it's monitor, so I can also play games and stream online content with it.

Personally... As a current fan of Apple TV, I am really looking forward to the updates. More Apps, reports that networks like CBS are working on apps for it, games, etc.

I can't wait for it to come out!

6. pr0230 thread starter Suspended

I have a mini mac, IPAD (128gb), IPOD TOUCH... and getting IPAD PRO next april...

Love the apple stuff...

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

So is Netflix and Apple let that one in. I suspect if Amazon makes an app, Apple will allow it.

8. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

This is really the perfect post. Apple announces a new product. You want it. You don't know what it does. You don't know what you would do with it. But you want it. Because you want it. You post here asking strangers what you might do with it. Because you want it. Just buy it. Then you can go through the elaborate unboxing process, and stare at it. Your new Apple purchase, cool. You can stare in rapt amazement, isn't that enough? Why should you have to do anything with it? It is, after all, your new Apple device.
    Or maybe you should just purchase a couple of Apple Watches, just for the hell of it. You don't have to wear them, you don't have to use them, you just have to buy them. Isn't that an end in itself?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Seems like the OP has a pretty good idea what he might use it for, and was just looking for other's opinions and thoughts on the matter.

No need at all really for your snarky and condescending comments.

10. imanidiot macrumors 6502a

Go back and read the OP's original post. He would like to do this, he would like to do that, but he either already knows that the new Apple TV won't or maybe won't do any of what he would like it to do. So he asks what he can use the new Apple TV for. Doesn't that strike you as either lazy or just ridiculous? He's asking for a babysitter, basically." Tell me what to do". He could find what he wants to know on his own, easily enough. But he wants someone else to do it for him.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I disagree. This is an Apple discussion forum. People come here to discuss Apple products. That is all I see here is the OP throwing out some ideas/questions about the new ATV and hoping to get other's thoughts on the subject. I see nothing at all wrong with that.

Maybe if you don't see the value in the discussion, just skip over the thread?

12. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Why do people keep saying this? Prime has an iOS app - Apple has done nothing to block it. It hasn't been on the older ATVs because Apple fully controlled the software and chose what to include. With an App Store, i expect Prime to be a day 1 app.

The only real contention between Amazon and Apple has been regarding Apple's cut of IAP.

13. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Netflix uses a different business model, it doesn't sell individual movies, televisions, and content. It's subscription based. Apples and oranges.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is still competition for iTunes is my point.

15. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Netflix is not iTunes competition. Period. The google store, Amazon, and VUDU are. Netflix is a completely different business model. If you can't see how a company that allows you to purchase the newest content right after it is released differs from a company that gets its content a year later using subscription services, you are entirely clueless on how these streaming models work.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Well then, since we are having such a polite and mature discussion. :rolleyes:

iTunes rents movies (not just new releases), and Netflix gives you an alternative to that to watch movies on your ATV. So yes, it is competition. I am not saying the two are exactly the same thing, but it is competition.