iPad Help me with a jailbreaked ipad?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by latinspice15, May 30, 2012.

1. latinspice15 macrumors newbie

So I purchased an iPad 2 from this guy (I KNOW IT WAS DUMB) but I'm trying to save. Anyway he shows it to me and I like it so I bring it home, turns out it's jailbroken. I can't access YouTube or the iTunes Store because they are blocked on a password protected profile. The iPad has Cydia and Installous. It has version 4.3 I think? Talking about the iOS.

I am frustrated because of course the guy is GONE. He won't answer my calls, texts, messages, nothing. It's like he was wiped off of this earth. So what do I do now? I hate the way this iPad functions. I hate it. I tried resetting it and it won't work. I tried to do the Erase all Content and it doesn't work, it just stays frozen forever in the black screen with the Apple sign and the little loading bar down. I tried to restore it and it doesn't work either. I talked to a friend and he says I should not go to the Apple Store cause I don't even have a warranty. So what now? How do I fix this mess?

I am frustrated and feel scammed. This ended up being worse than spending a lot of money in the actual Apple store. This was so stupid to do. Now I'm just pissed. Please help me :(

2. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Okay at this point it would help to take a deep breath.

Reboot your computer, and plug in the iPad, then post what happens, if anything. Does iTunes launch? If not launch iTunes, and what does it show? If you get any error messages copy them down and post the exact message.

What version of iTunes are you running on your PC? Are you running windows or a Mac?

3. latinspice15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh thank you. I need several deep breaths.

Yes iTunes does run, I downloaded the latest version. I have a Windows, no access to a Mac unfortunately. When I plug in the iPad no error pops up, not immediately. I can click restore but then it just won't. And I did that method people posted to set it in recovery mode and it did not work also. Ahhhh :( :( :(

4. Dav1 macrumors 6502

So you plug in the iPad, and you are setting it to DFU mode, and iTunes doesn't pop up a message that it has found an iPad in recovery mode?

If you are not seeing that message then most likely you are not in DFU mode... And that is why the restore is failing. Do you also have tiny umbrella installed?

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Did you try putting it into DFU mode? It can be tricky getting into it, but once you do, you can almost always restore. It's actually easier to do it on Windows, because you can use the USB mounting / dismounting chimes to guide you.

1. Plug in your iPad to computer. (mount chime)

2. Hold down both power button and home button together. Ignore anything that happens on the iPad, and keep holding until you hear the dismount chime.

3. Let go of the power button WHILE KEEPING HOLD OF THE HOME BUTTON. Hold until you hear the mount chime again. You should also see a device driver start to install.

iPad screen should be black at this point. If not redo steps 2 and 3.

4. Wait until the install finishes, then start iTunes. It should say it detects an iPad in recovery mode. Click ok, then click restore. Wait until restore finishes completely. Set up as new.

6. xraytech, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

xraytech macrumors 68020

Here's an easier way to get into DFU Mode

1) Turn off your iPad

2) Plug in the 30 Pin end of the cable to your iPad, BUT DO NOT PLUG IN THE USB END TO YOUR COMPUTER

3) Launch iTunes on your computer

4) While holding down the Home Button on your iPad, plug in the USB end of the cable to your computer. Keep holding down the Home Button until you see the Connect to iTunes screen on your iPad.

And that's it, you're in DFU Mode and you should be able to restore using iTunes.

7. latinspice15 thread starter macrumors newbie

What is tiny umbrella? What does it do? Where can I get it?

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

check out this link:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4097

it basically tells you how to restore your ipad via recovery route. My iPad was stuck on an endless apple logo loop and i did this (exactly) and it worked out for me)

your situation may be different, but try this out...
    and this is what should pop up on your computer if you are successful
    [​IMG]

--EDIT: i had this open in my browser but i got busy and never came back until now (and didn't bother refreshing or scrolling down to look at the post while commenting. But xraytech basically has the steps ;)

9. Night Spring, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's recovery mode, not DFU mode. When you are in DFU mode, your iPad screen stays black, it doesn't show the connect to iTunes screen.

When an iPad is as badly messed up as the OP's appear to be, only DFU will work, recovery mode won't work.

If you've never used Tiny Umbrella before, don't bother. Explanation of what it is is not relevant to your situation. It's just that there's a setting it changes in your computer's system settings that has to be changed back in order for restore to work. If your computer never had TU installed, then obviously this doesn't apply.

10. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

is there a difference in terms of the purpose?

EDIT: nvm, i get that it's the whole iBoot thing and DFU bypassing it, but for the purposes of this iPad 2 and the fact that Absinthe 2.0.2 is released for iOS 5.1.1, does it make a difference?

I guess it does depend on the user and whether he/she wants to upgrade or not... lol i guess i answered my own question...

11. Dav1 macrumors 6502

It is a program that allows you to save SHSH blobs so that you can reload firmwares that Apple no longer signs. It can be found at

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

The reason I asked is it can be configured to block iTunes from calling home to Apple, and this can give some of the errors you are seeing.

That is why the exact error messages you are seeing, and what you are hearing is important. Without that everyone is just giving you hints at what might be wrong and what to do.

There are a lot of ways a jailbreak can go wrong, just as there are a lot of reasons why a restore can fail. Just because someone has got the experience to recover a bricked iPad, doesn't mean that everyone will be able to, unless they have help. We all learn from doing.

----------

Actually yes it does make a difference. If your iDevice is working then you can restore using your method, if on the other hand you can't get your device to turn off you need to putti into DFU mode.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Oh, I'm not going to even try to talk the OP through keeping the iPad on earlier firmware, he should just restore to 5.1.1. It's the simplest way to get a working iPad. And like you said, should he want to rejailbreak it, he can use Absinthe 2.

13. latinspice15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so recovery mode doesn't work. :( It says I must "Restore and Update" and while it waits for the update to download, like in the middle of it, it just disconnects. So idk what to do now? :( I am so pissed.

How do I set it to DFU mode and what do I do once I'm there?

14. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Follow these instructions;

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Personally, I never bother with recovery mode, because that may or may not work, depending on the situation. If you try recovery mode and it doesn't work, you have to do DFU anyway, so why not just go straight to DFU? You likely save a step this way.

16. Dav1 macrumors 6502

I suppose I should also note that there are now two different ways to enter into DFU mode. That for me, with my iPad 3 on 5.1.1 the above method does not work. iTunes 10.6.1.7 no longer beeps on insertion, nor does it beep at ten seconds....

You may need to try a different method after upgrading.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Are you using Windows? I don't think Macs do the beeps. Itunes has nothing to do with the beeps, it's just the Windows system detecting when a USB device connects/disconnects. And yes, I've done this with my iPad 3 on 5.1.1.

18. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Yes Windows 7 64 bit. :) I've jail broken everything from my iPod on up. And my AT&T iPad 64 GB 4LTE on 5.1.1(9B206) no longer does the beeps. :mad:

The beeps are actually controlled by the drivers, that iTunes loads.... in fact I just rebooted my IBM notebook, and plugged in my iPad 3, there is no beep, from my PC, yet iTunes launches so the USB connection is working and being detected. And yes my speakers are still working...

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, I have Windows 7 64 bit, iPad 3 Verizon on 5.1.1, and iTunes 10.6.1.7, and my iPad still beeps every time I connect and disconnect. Only difference between me and you is Verizon / AT&T, but I don't think that should make a difference...

When I get in to work, I'll try hooking my iPad up to a work computer without iTunes to see if it beeps or not -- I always thought it beeped even without iTunes, but you've got me wondering.

20. Dav1 macrumors 6502

That would seem to prove that the default drivers for an unrecognized device beep, nothing more? How would that prove what Apple drivers do, or do not do?

Can we agree that you plug in a normal functioning iPad and one set of drivers load? That you plug in a iPad in DFU mode a different set of drivers load? (indeed don't the drivers kill the iPad out of DFU mode?) You plug in a normal functioning iPad one set of drivers load, and you then put the iPad into DFU mode and the first drivers unload, and a different driver loads... Now don't most jail breaking tools require you to load iTunes on the PC? Not because iTunes is needed but because it's drivers are?

The drivers that recognize the iPad and communicate with it are part of the iTunes package. What I'm suggesting is iTunes is smart enough to recognize when an iDevice is being put into DFU mode, and as of iTunes 10.x it is possible to trip a trap, that changes how DFU mode is gotten into and out of....

You could attempt to dock your iPad and simply put it into DFU mode for no reason a few times, without restoring it, see if your iPad continues to beep...

21. Night Spring, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Remind me how to get out of DFU mode without restoring?

And DFU mode is invoked by holding down the buttons in the correct order for the proper length of time. The beeps simply let you know when to let go of which buttons, so the absence of the beeps doesn't really change how you get into DFU, you just have to time it by counting seconds instead of listening for the beeps.

22. latinspice15 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhh so I succesfully achieved DFU mode but is there a way to restore it without iTunes demanding an update? I have been trying since yesterday and the update doesn't download. I have the last version of iTunes so it should work but it doesn't. How can I restore without updating?

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You can't restore without updating unless you have saved SHSH for your iPad -- which maybe the previous owner of the iPad did save at some point, but I'm not about to try to talk you through this process, since it's rather complicated and chances of success isn't great. And even if we did retrieve the SHSH, you will have to download an earlier firmware anyway to restore to it -- for the same amount of time and trouble you can just download 5.1.1, and be guaranteed that you can restore to that firmware.

So go here: http://m.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=8500

Download 5.1.1 for your iPad model.

Save it somewhere you can find it.

In iTunes, shift+restore. This should bring up a dialogue box asking you to pick the firmware. Point it to the firmware you downloaded.

Wait for restore to finish.

That should be it. Let us know if you run into any more issues.