Help me with an AppleCare Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bobjob186, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

My iMac's complimentary year warranty is dated to expire on April 16 2009. I bought applecare last night from apple.com and it's scheduled to arrive between April 14-17. My question is if it comes on April 17 can I not register it?

I'm starting to worry over this!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

I suspect that when you place the order it goes into effect then; delivery would not seem to be important. You can always call Apple and confirm.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Call customer service and confirm this now. If you can register it, get a name and extension of whomever you're talking to, along with a citation of whatever they're using to say you can.

If they cannot, call them up and cancel the applecare order if you can. Go into a applestore or best buy and buy a box there.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe you can order AppleCare on the phone.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Not true at all. You don't provide a serial when purchasing, which is the crucial part. The AppleCare needs to be registered and tied to a certain computer.

6. Dezlboy macrumors regular

Don't worry! I suggest you call Apple Care at 1 800 275 2273, ask for the Agreement Administration Office. (I got info from Apple today - but the office is closed over the weekend.) They may be able to register you over the phone using your Applecare Order number and your iMac serial number.

OR - as Alphaod said - when you call Apple, if the above doesn't work, you probably can buy Applecare over the phone and get registered at same time. Then return the Applecare you previously ordered.

OR - Or they might note "in your file" to cover any short gap between purchase and registration.

I'm sure you are not the first person to call Apple with this question. After all packages get lost in the mail all the time. They likely have a set procedure.

Hope this helps.

7. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

You'll be fine as long as you have a receipt dated before the expiration date. There are other posts of people successfully registering AppleCare after the fact, as long as they had the receipt.

But, yeah, you should probably call and make sure.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...PM iLog.Genius and check with him (he works for apple)...

9. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

if the warranty is expired by the time you receive the box you will be unable to register it online and be forced to call applecare... if you purchased it from apple retail store or apple online store they can check the serial or registration number to see the proof of purchase date... if it was ordered before the warranty expired they will apply it for you... if you purchased 3rd party you will have to mail in proof of purchase for them to enroll you out of warranty

10. Bobjob186 thread starter macrumors 6502

I called them this morning, and they told me that because the date i purchased it was the 10th that I'm ok and that all I have to do is tell them the web order and i'm fine. I really hope it comes before thursday though so I don't have to worry about it.

i'll let you know how it goes.

thanks for the input.