Help me with Buyer's remorse!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jabar18, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Jabar18 macrumors member

I have been using a 2007 15" MBP since, well 2007. It's been great. I had AppleCare on it, and within the three years it had an optical drive, wireless card and motherboard all replaced through the AC program. (The motherboard crapped out two weeks before the AppleCare expired. Good timing.) Since 2010 I've added RAM to make it a total of 4GB of RAM and swapped out the OEM hard drive for a 320GB 7200RPM WD Scorpio.

However, it's been showing its age. I installed Yosemite last fall and actually had to downgrade to Mavericks because it was slowing the machine down so much. The display frame is slightly cracked and is creating a vertical line down my display when I open or close the display. I took it to the Apple store and was told that my display was dying and it'd go very soon. I've only got about 20GB of hard drive space left, and I find that multi-tasking (having mail, safari and word open at the same time) is practically impossible. It slows down to a crawl.

I've had battery issues as well. I have bought new batteries since the OEM stopped holding more than a 25 minute charge, and they've all died within a year. I finally got Apple to stand by their warranty and swap out a recent battery that I bought less than six months ago that wouldn't charge in the machine. At this point I'm holding my breath that the replacement battery will last.

So I've been hoping to upgrade for months, but didn't want to sink the $$ until this machine totally dies. However I took advantage of an amazing sale from Adorama.com last week, where I got a 2015 15" MBP, 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM with AppleCare for around $2,750 after a $100 rebate. This included free shipping and no sales tax. Considering that at my local Apple Store the same setup would have cost $2,800 pre Apple Care and pre-tax, I saved myself over $500.

I bit the bullet and installed Yosemite in my old 2007 MBP to get ready for the data transfer, and it seems to be running well. Less slowdown than I installed before. Then it hit me. Should I have upgraded now, or waited until my 2007 MBP totally died? 8 years is a great amount of time for a laptop, and it's still working. Once I get the data over to my new machine, I'll wipe the HD and use it as a backup or sell it. I guess after a few years I can always downgrade to a 15" MacBook Air? and sell my MBP. It should hold its resale value well.

Was it time? Or am I just like the parent who doesn't know when to let their kid go? Thoughts?

2. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Transfer the data and start using your new machine. There's no comparison between the two. Enjoy!

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

You just got a great deal on a new machine that is going to last you for several years. You need to let go of that old machine. It has served you well and you have got you money out of it. At its age anything can happen at any time, then where would you be? Besides it is very outdated. Feel good about that awesome new MBP you just got. Pretty nice machine if you ask me.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It truly depends, and if you're asking for opinions - I'm more of a "if it works, don't fix it" type of person, especially when it comes to computers and electronics.

Is there a reason why you can't return it? Does the reseller have a different policy? I only noticed that you said "last week" in your post.

In all honesty it sounds like you got a nice deal, and if you're okay with it then I don't see the issue. However, I would have just thrown a SSD in the older machine and got more use out of it - especially since Skylake computers are approaching.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Will a slow machine effect your work flow? If the answer is yes then the upgrade is worth while. Productivity is the key

6. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

I felt the same way when I upgraded from an '06 MB to a '10 MBP.

Clean up and sell your old one and enjoy your new one. You know deep down you love the extra power and beauty of the new machine.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It is a great deal on the new machine, you got 8 years out of a laptop as your main machine which is amazing. Stop being an idiot and just enjoy the new machine.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree with all of these quotes which express my thoughts as well.

Eight years is a terrific life span for a computer, especially given the speed of technological change these days. Let it go, and enjoy your new computer. You got a great deal on a computer with superb specifications - and - as you have skipped several generations of updates and improvements - you will notice a stunning difference in performance, power and speed between your old computer and the new one you have.

Enjoy it.

9. Jabar18 thread starter macrumors member

Excellent. Thanks everyone!

It was time. I just am not one to spend over $2,000 on a new machine while the old one is still alive. Although it is hanging on by its fingernails. 8 years is a great amount of time for a MacBook Pro. Would people recommend I hold onto this one as a backup? Because it can run Yosemite, it will run el Capitan as well.

10. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

I believe with Adorama, unless the product they sent is damaged, they won't accept returns just because you didn't like it.

11. robgendreau macrumors 68040

YES, keep it if you do business on your computer. Restoring, fixing, etc are all fine, but what do you do in the meantime? For many of us we NEED a computer and can't afford to be without one.

Not to mention laptops make killer media machines. Even old slow ones. Hook it up to speakers, TV, etc and use it for your media, and take all those GBs off the new machine to free up space. Use it as a file server. Or a warm spot for the cat to sleep on.

Once you fire up that SSD you will wonder why you ever had any question in your mind about upgrading...it's crack.

12. james90755 macrumors member

Computers are like cars, once they start failing... sell them. 3-4 years is more than enough useful life.