I have been using a 2007 15" MBP since, well 2007. It's been great. I had AppleCare on it, and within the three years it had an optical drive, wireless card and motherboard all replaced through the AC program. (The motherboard crapped out two weeks before the AppleCare expired. Good timing.) Since 2010 I've added RAM to make it a total of 4GB of RAM and swapped out the OEM hard drive for a 320GB 7200RPM WD Scorpio. However, it's been showing its age. I installed Yosemite last fall and actually had to downgrade to Mavericks because it was slowing the machine down so much. The display frame is slightly cracked and is creating a vertical line down my display when I open or close the display. I took it to the Apple store and was told that my display was dying and it'd go very soon. I've only got about 20GB of hard drive space left, and I find that multi-tasking (having mail, safari and word open at the same time) is practically impossible. It slows down to a crawl. I've had battery issues as well. I have bought new batteries since the OEM stopped holding more than a 25 minute charge, and they've all died within a year. I finally got Apple to stand by their warranty and swap out a recent battery that I bought less than six months ago that wouldn't charge in the machine. At this point I'm holding my breath that the replacement battery will last. So I've been hoping to upgrade for months, but didn't want to sink the $$ until this machine totally dies. However I took advantage of an amazing sale from Adorama.com last week, where I got a 2015 15" MBP, 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM with AppleCare for around $2,750 after a $100 rebate. This included free shipping and no sales tax. Considering that at my local Apple Store the same setup would have cost $2,800 pre Apple Care and pre-tax, I saved myself over $500. I bit the bullet and installed Yosemite in my old 2007 MBP to get ready for the data transfer, and it seems to be running well. Less slowdown than I installed before. Then it hit me. Should I have upgraded now, or waited until my 2007 MBP totally died? 8 years is a great amount of time for a laptop, and it's still working. Once I get the data over to my new machine, I'll wipe the HD and use it as a backup or sell it. I guess after a few years I can always downgrade to a 15" MacBook Air? and sell my MBP. It should hold its resale value well. Was it time? Or am I just like the parent who doesn't know when to let their kid go? Thoughts?