Help me with buying MAC (first time)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sinanziric, Apr 8, 2012.

1. sinanziric macrumors member

Ok i have 2200 euros to spend and i'm not in a hurry with buying.

I can wait a bit longer to collect 3000-4000 euros, i have seen people buying

iMac's and Mac Pro's but i don't know which one i NEED...

I would use mac for: Movies, Music, Photos, Blizzard Gaming, editing home video, i need a lot of disk space for my recordings bigger screen...

Do i need to buy Mac Pro or iMac based on my needs

(Im 16 years PC user, never been using Mac Hardware except iPod touch :)), Mac Pro attracts me more, since i see its upgradable, but its expensive. iMac on other hand is cheaper ... but i know nothing about it

I Could buy mac pro, but do i need it?

2. simsaladimbamba

The iMac will suffice, unless the GPU options (you can look those up on the Apple site) are not beefy enough for your games.
    And to get more storage, there are always options to add an external HDD or two, be it Firewire 800 (fast and affordable) or Thunderbolt (very fast, but still expensive).

3. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

wait is the right decision

As both models are due to be upgraded.
    So take your time, go to an Apple store, play with them, and see for yourself what is better for you.

The Pro specially, has more days without any update.
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

The iMac is a very nice all in one.
    Other gamers in the forum can give you better advice.

Besides a desktop, you can consider a portable, you can always connect it to a monitor or big screen TV.

4. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

You should do well with an iMac, just look at the GPU specs and confirm that it will serve your gaming purpose. iMacs can be had with a 1 TB HDD and with the thunderbolt you can get an external HDD for ever more storage and lightning fast data transfers. The Mac Pro hasn't been updated in a few years and there is a lot of speculation that Apple may kill it off. iMacs have really been beefed up over the last few years, hence why Apple doesn't really sell Mac Pro's much anymore.

5. theluggage macrumors 68030

Mac Pros are really for graphics/video professionals, and are overkill for home use. They're dead easy to add/change hard drives and memory to (clips and thumbscrews only) but, although they take PCIe cards, you're limited to Mac-supported ones, so don't think you're going to be able to bung in any old PC graphics card. As others have noted, they're long overdue for a update and probably not great value at the moment.

You can get a nicely tricked out 27" iMac for less than the entry price of a Mac Pro without monitor (and you'd have to pay quite a lot together a monitor comparable to the iMac screen) and Games written for Mac are unlikely to require more performance than you'll get from that. The biggest minus for the iMac is that the hard drive isn't user replaceable/upgradable (there are online instructions if you feel brave, but kiss your warranty goodbye) but you can add external FireWire 800 disks for a reasonable price - thunderbolt drives (should be as fast as an internal drive) are more expensive, but probably still wouldn't bring you up to the cost of a Mac Pro and monitor...

Only consider a Mac Pro if you want to play with multiple operating systems (where being able to replace the primary HD quickly is handy) or already have a really expensive monitor.