help me with my new mac book pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newmacuser2011, Jan 10, 2011.

1. newmacuser2011 macrumors newbie

Please don't laugh :(

I finally decided to get a mac, but i went the way of ebay to get it. I got it last wek but the settings are in chinese (or some other oriental language - can't tell):eek:

Of course I cannot explain to the person I bought it from what I am seeing, and after taking pictures of it, he is still unable to tell me how to change the language settings :(

Is there anyway that someone can guide me through this? I am super excited to finally get my mac and now this. Please help - school begins next week.

BTW - I am not sure if this is allowed - I hope I'm not breaking any rules - but I am in NY - is there any place that can be recommended to do this? Please help!!!

2. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Oh dear. Chinese reseller? Always look closely before you buy! ;)

No worries, this can be fixed. I'm going to give it a shot here.

1. Find the following icon on the dock:
    [​IMG]

2. Click it and it will open a window.

3. Click the following button in that window:
    [​IMG]

4. A window like this should appear. The top choice is going to be Chinese. You need to find, and click and drag English to the top of the list...
    [​IMG]

5. Restart computer.

Let me know if this works.

3. newmacuser2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I will try when I get home this evening. I surmised as much with looking for the setting icon, but when I look on the list, all the words show up in chinese, including my systems preference :(

BTW - Is a Mac supposed to have Windows 7? Because that is what it came with. Can I just wipe this entire thing clean and start over? What would be the ramifications?:confused: It works well, no issues, practically new because everything that was installed you can see it was done last year, but I just don't want to surprises of having to deal with language issues such as this one.

4. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Oh wow...Yeah if you're ok with it, I would definitely wipe it clean. Technically (unless the seller gave you the Windows 7 disks) you are running an illegal copy of Windows....who knows what else might be lurking in the computer.

For a complete reinstall, this link should help you. (You'll need to have the Mac OS X disks handy)

http://www.wikihow.com/Reinstall-Mac-OS-X

5. newmacuser2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

:mad:oh boy, no discks so illegal copy then i guess:mad:

I have the mac discs so i will definitely wipe it clean. better safe than sorry - and definitely lesson learned. At least if something else pops up, I'm still cvered under the ebay warranty:rolleyes:

Thank you so much again - will keep you posted:D

6. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Did you check the serial number prior to buying?

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

Ebay warranty....lmao...good luck with that.

9. engaged44 macrumors member

yeah bro check the serial number on apples website.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Dont wipe the HD unless you have install discs!