Help me with Safari please!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by paddy, May 9, 2007.

1. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Hi there I've got a bit of a bizarre and annoying problem. Safari wont connect to any webpage, because it "can't connect to the server". Yes I went through help and the topics dont apply, I emptied the cache and reset Safari. What makes thing more annoying is the fact that I can't perform a software update because software update can't connect to the internet.

I should have mention that my computer connected to the internet and Firefox is working normally at the moment. Safari is working fine on my iBook (I'm on a g4 imac). Any ideas how to fix this? Cheers, Paddy.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Check your proxy configuration in System Preferences/Network. iirc Firefox ignores this but well behaved apps (like the Apple ones) use it.

3. spydr macrumors 6502

spydr

This sounds like a problem I had when a software update failed on my G5 tower. The unfinished update seems to have 10.4.9 stamp but a bunch of programs including safari and software update won't work. My hunch is that the core web services shared by these applications got corrupted due to the upgrade failure. I haven't been able to fix mine yet even with the stand alone 10.4.9 updater from apple. Did you get the problem the same way? Have you tried the standalone combo updater?

4. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Nope I'm on 10.4.6, can't get any updates really because software update won't work. Now iTunes is gone on me, won't connect. Any more ideas? Thanks for the responses btw!

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Did you check your proxy settings like I suggested?

6. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

Try downloading the update from the updates site and then run/install it. Maybe doing the update the manual way will overwrite all the files and kick out [overwrite] the corrupt ones?

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

The 10.49 updates are there (for both Intel and PPC), the combo ones update from any 10.4x version, you'll probably have to use one of those because I don't think they'll have one that is a 10.46 -> 10.49. (the smaller ones all look to be for 10.48 -> 10.49)

Mac OS X 10.4.9 Combo Update (Intel)

Mac OS X 10.4.9 Combo Update (PPC)

Try updating manually by using Firefox to download the update and see if Safari works after the update is applied. :eek:

good luck :)

7. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Sorry I was a while in replying and thanks again to all those who replied but I still can't fix the problem! I installed a combined update alright but it did no good. Robbieduncan, what should I change in the proxy settings? All appears ok to me.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've no idea: it's dependant on your connection situation. I'd personally try no proxies at all. Check what Firefox is set to as well.

9. paddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

paddy

Thanks Rob that worked :). Do I need to worry about not having them now? Any security issues?

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Proxies can be used for a few things, network security is one of them. Personally I'd not worry about it. The chance of you having a valid local proxy on your home network is pretty slim.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

1. firefox has its own proxy setting, and as crossplatform as firefox, it does not utilize osx's setting, hey, its good sometimes, like now, right? when one browser fail, u got a backup!

2. why you use a proxy that does not work?