help me with torrents.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by johnrbell, Jan 27, 2008.

1. johnrbell macrumors newbie

i have a macbook, typical setup.
    my provider is comcast.
    i use transmission & various torrent sites.
    whenever i look on the site, it lists the torrent as having 200+ seeders.

i open it into transmission and it only shows 2, 3, maybe 4 peers. i get speeds of 0.3kbps. lame.
    sometimes it goes fast, 120kbps+ but rarely ever.

more often than not, it will completely gobble up all my bandwidth making it impossible for me to even browse the internet.

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

you're probably being bandwidth throttled by your isp.

however, you should ensure that your ports are open correctly. take a look at portforward.com...

3. johnrbell thread starter macrumors newbie

transmission says my "port is stealth"

if i want to port forward, i need to have a static ip it says... i can do that, but i dont want to have to change my settings each time i go to a different network :(

4. johnrbell thread starter macrumors newbie

i installed azureus, enabled encryption.
    same problem.

5. Chris204 macrumors regular

I'm sharing a connection with my Vista machine, which is running uTorrent. I can get excellent speeds with uTorrent, but on my Mac while I'm using Transmission, my speeds are around 10 KB/s or so.

6. johnrbell thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah. i get a steady 7k, or 4k.
    transmission says port is stealth. :(

7. davidleon macrumors member

You're going to have to configure a static IP if you want to use Transmission, Azureus, etc. You can create another "location" in Apple Menu -> Location -> Network Preferences for when you want to connect with DHCP.

8. JesterDev macrumors newbie

Comcast is using Sandvine to throttle peer to peer. It's not your network, nor your mac it's all comcast.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20080108/D8U1VE481.html

Basically it looks for other comcast users sharing the same file and leeches from them only. It will go through each peer until it finds one, and if it does not it will either reset your connection (sometimes after each peer is checked) and/or just start from the beginning.

I had a cable connection since they where first introduced, and after this sandvine issue started I moved to a 8Mb DSL connection. Much happier.