Help me with Wifi setup...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mdunker1, Aug 1, 2013.

1. mdunker1 macrumors newbie

In the next few weeks I am switching from all Windows based pc/laptops to Apple. I currently have four iPhones, one Ipad, and one older model Macbook being used.

I will be adding an IMac as my desktop and two more Macbooks. I am not sure which ones yet. I am trying to decide when and what to buy based on the new releases but that is a different discussion.

I live in a rural area and here is my internet set up. I have one USB 4G modem plugged into an MBR 95 router for one home network. I have a MIFi jetpack that I use as another home network and also travel with it. Both are these have data caps. Both give me speeds that average 15-20 mbps download and 5-6 mbps upload.

My main question is would the Apple airport stuff benefit me at all? I know I can connect all of the new devices to my current setup and it works. Am I losing speed not buying the Apple products?

2. ermo2012 macrumors newbie

I am not sure if I understand but you're internet connection speed is not really relevant in relation to you're question.

If you have a high speed local network (gigabit wired and / or N (or G) standard for you're wifi) it will make data transfer quicker.

The main advantage of using Apple airports will be the possibilty to use airplay and such.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

As long as your computer is AirPlay compatible, it will work fine with 3rd party networking gear. For example, you have a MacBook Air that is AirPlay compatible and it is connected to a D-Link router via WFi or ethernet. You will be able to AirPlay to your Apple TV fine as long as they are on the same network.

----------

No, there are no additional benefits to using the AirPort stuff. Unless you have 802.11ac equipment, there are no speed advantages.

4. mdunker1 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I wait on the new products that have 802.11ac capability what advantages does that give me with speed?

There are no current 4G routers that offer 802.11ac. Would the "bridging" of the airport router be of benefit to me?

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

This will give you an idea of the difference between 802.11ac and 802.11n.

Keep in mind that this only benefits your LAN transfer speeds. It will have no affect on your 4G connection.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not really. I'd focus on finding quality WiFi gear and properly setting up your WiFi network if speed (on your local network) is your concern. Your internet connection is its own bottleneck and new WiFi gear isn't to improve that.