Help! Mental Pretzel: MacBook Pro 13" vs 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mactimize, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Mactimize macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

Have been a long time reader of this forum, but just decided to join today as I'm hoping the forum can provide some advice on a decision I'm trying to make between the 2015 MacBook Pro 13" vs 15". Cost is definitely a consideration.

Background
    For the last three years I've been using a 2013 MacBook Air Ultimate (i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD). With the air being discontinued I felt it might be best to upgrade (love getting new tech) so I ended up selling it last week for $1050 CAD ($780 USD for American folks).

The Decision

I've not largely ruled out the 2016 line of MacBook Pros due to the lack of ports. That takes me a year backwards to consider Apple's line-up of computers:

OPTION 1
    Brand new sealed 2015 MacBook Pro 13" base model (i5 2.7Ghz, 8GB, 128GB SSD) through a friend for $1200 CAD ($895 US) all-in. I'm a little worried that a 128GB SSD is going to find me running out of space - but I'm not sure I used much more than around 150 gigs or so on my MacBook Air. Is anyone making it work with a 128GB drive? How are you finding it? Price wise this seems like a pretty nice savings compared to Apple's current retail price.

OPTION 2
    Used mid-2015 MacBook Pro 15" (2.5GHz i7, 16GB, 512GB SSD) and 2 GB graphics card for $2000 CAD ($1500 USD). Supposedly the computer is in great condition and only has 42 cycles on the battery. It would be nice to have the extra screen real estate but on the other hand AppleCare only covers the computer until January and I'm worried about the cost of the repair should I run into any issues.

KICKER
    I also have an iPad Pro 12.9". Should I just get rid of the computer altogether and work from an iPad? My usage is email, skype, music streaming, light adobe CC, and productivity (excel, powerpoint, word). I think some stuff like designing web pages etc would be pretty difficult on the iPad so likely not a good optin.

If I'm approaching it from the standpoint of resale value in a year or two's time - which is going to be my better option? Thanks for humouring my dilemma. Look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts.

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I went from a 15" MBP to the new 13" MBP and will sadly be returning it because I cannot adjust to the screen size. I've had a 15" MBP of some form or another since 2007 and the real estate is just too nice to get rid of.

3. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I couldn't survive without a MacOS (or Windows if i needed to) machine, but buying an iMac is an option. You get a little more power for you money, but at the obvious cost of portability.

I would recommend you stay away from the 128GB model. While it is no doubt possible (for many people) to survive with such little storage, I don't know why you would want to. Of course, if you are thrifty with cloud and external storage (should be backing up anyways), or literally don't store any media files, 128GB would be plenty.

If you trust the person or place you are buying the used 15" from, that is easily the way to go. $1000 off new with (it sounds like) such little use, heck ya.

4. Mactimize thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good point - I actually already have a 27" iMac which I absolutely love.

Your points about the 128GB model are exactly what I'm concerned about - still on the fence about whether I can make 128GB work. Resale wise do you think the 13" model I've quoted will have reasonable resale for the next few years?

I don't know anything about the guy selling the 15" MacBook Pro. I'm also a little worried that I'll take a big hit on it if I decide to sell in a few years time (like I did on my MacBook Air) .

5. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

In your shoes, I would see how well the iPad works out for you then, beings you have the iMac.

I mean, it's all speculation, but I can say that as time progresses, files get larger and larger. That 128GB is not reasonably upgradeable, and so I would imaging it's just going to get more and more undesirable.

Honestly, if you don't know the guy selling the 15", id be a little skeptical. That's a REALLY low price for such an unused MacBook. Around here, about half of the Macs on Craigslist are scams (and poor ones at that). But i mean if you meet the guy, use the computer, run a couple of benchmarks and it is normal, you are most likely good to go.

But as far as resale value, it's just anybody's guess. Apple products in general hold their value very well, considering most electronic devices are completely undesirable after about 2 years. With the new MacBooks just released, the used market is going to be odd for a while. The more successful the new machines are, the more the older ones will lose their value.

6. Mactimize thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks xb2003 - your advice is super helpful. I guess the question really becomes can I make do with a base 13" (not sure I can). Will have to see if anyone else has experience with the base 13".

7. Greene macrumors regular

Greene

I use a base 2015 rMBP for work - love the thing! But, I'm also not storing midi samples, movies, large photo libraries, etc. etc. on it. If you're using the machine for your digital life, go for something with more storage.