Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
I disabled Filevault today so I could switch to full disk encryption.

After disabling FV and logging back into my account, some things were very messed up:

-All my music was missing from iTunes. Preferences were still there.
-All my Firefox settings/prefs/addons are gone.

If figured that this is my problem:
picture1da.png

It looks like a new account has been created for me. I get this window if I select Go > Home. My original home folder is intact. My original "Desktop" folder seems to now be just another folder, while the Desktop folder in .de2858 is my new actual desktop folder.

I have a backup, but I'd rather understand what has gone wrong so I can safely disable Filevault next time.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
It sounds like the process failed to perform the final step of updating your home folder to its proper location. If a restart doesn't fix your problem, you may find the following directions to be of use:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1428

Rather than enabling the root user and moving home folders around, you can just create a new user account using that short name as in steps 5-9.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Fixed it myself, all I had to do was remove the new home folder. Everything seems magically fixed now. I'm surprised it was so easy.

I used the sudo rm -rv command from the terminal.

Thanks anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.